Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my pup went into heat today she is only 5 months old and we were getting her fixed in October but this kinda snuck up on us. No I have no idea what to do I pulled out all my basset books and none of the address this topic. She is bleeding very lightly and she is peeing every 5 minutes just tiny bits, she also has diarrhea but that could be from the new treat I gave her. So are these things normal things to expect with her first heat? i would just really like some advice, I didn't think I was going to have to deal with this because she would be fixed, but I guess she is an early bloomer. Thank you

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hi there

my advise would be to let her rest. she'll be feeling sorry for herslef so just let her sleep it off. keep her on a lead when walking - im sure she'll still want to go on walks. just be carful of other dogs around.

i found snoopy was off her food and was very sleepy especailly the first few days. best just to let her have some space and she'll come to you for cuddles if she wants them.

also it might cheer her up to buy her something new to chew on!

you'll find after a couple of days the bleeding will be heavier but she will be better in herself, more playful. she will aslo realise the blood is hers and she'll help clean it up off the floor for you! (yum!)

and yes she will pee lots as i think she's leaving her scent behind for the boys to find her!

also make sure there is no way she can excape from your garden/yard etc.

the bleeding lasts for about 14 days and she is still in season for a week after the bleeding stops.

also i dont think she can be spayed until three months after her seaon - well thats what we were advised from our vet here in the UK.

hope this helps

Clare

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've had 4 females whom all where not spayed,
so I have some experience.
She will drip and make stains on furniture and carpets,
but you can try with small pants and a sanitary pad,
if she'll accept to wear that.
Don't let her lose, and be watchful for lose male dogs.
It's just a week which is really dangerous, you will see
that she will stand in front of a male, and turn her tail
to the side. The rest of the time she will probably turn the
male down by barking highpitched in his ear, saying she's
not ready, or it's too late.
She will probably want to go out and look after male dogs
all the time, and will pee a little bit on every corner, to lead
male dogs to her home.

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Everyone has given you great advise, my only other suggestion would be to call the vet to see if they have any recommendations. Good luck -

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the information, I was so unprepared for this I thought I had a couple more months, well hopefully this won't last any longer then 3 weeks or so, thank you again

Everyone has given you great advise, my only other suggestion would be to call the vet to see if they have any recommendations. Good luck -
[/b]
I actually took her to the vet today and basically she just said to do all the same things so I just wish it would go away

1 - 6 of 6 Posts