Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to transition our outdoor basset hound Fred to an inside dog. Our biggest concern right now is he is too wild! he wont quit pickingup every single thing he sees and wants to eat it. Help!:mad:

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
it is the nature of dogs to explore the world with their mouth, when the newness wears off so will the mouthing. Owning a basset is not much like having a toddler. That is you need to dog proof by keeping items out of reach which for a basset included counter tops. Secondly provide the dog an acceptable outlet for chewing. When the dog is mouthing chewing something inappropriate.,

!. stop the dog chewing. Using a load noise such as shouting No ! while causethe dog to stop for a second. Keep in mind this is not a punishment for the dog But it does give you a minute to train a more appropriate behavior by giving the dog an approved chew toy and then rewarding the dog when he uses it. THe important thing here and people miss is the only reward when the dog first is bad. That is not what you want You need to go out of you way to look for oppurtunities to reward the dog for chewing on an appropriate item on its own. This is equally if not more important than Working the substitutions. In the FAQ section there is a thread on biting/nipping and inapropreate chewing.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
i ONLY behave at grandmoms
bwaaaaaaaahahahaha
they think I'm so sweet. then I get home and turn into a trouble maker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts