Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Basset Peanut who was completely house trained when he arrived last August has started to urinate the last 2 times he has been in our finished basement. It isn't because he needs to go out because it happens after he has been out for a while. He did it right in front of my husband. The only thing I can think of is that this past weekend we have had visitors in the house. My 6 year old grandson is visiting and the house routine has been totally different. Also he has been going to a play group on Thursdays and I don't know if he is allowed to go out when he needs to and that is affecting him. Anyway I am puzzled and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks. Peanuts Mom Jeane

·
Registered
773 Posts
Could be any of the above or a Urinary Tract Infection. You might put in a call to your vet.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
"has started to urinate the last 2 times he has been in our finished basement. It isn't because he needs to go out because it happens after he has been out for a while. "

The basement is not a place he is normal allowed? Barring any medical cause for the behavior, a new location is often going to cause house training problems. It is not a good idea to assume that a dog that is house trained at you house is the same at a different house. The same with different rooms in your own house. It is not uncommon to have a dog perfectly housetrained when confined to the kitchen have problem when they have run of the house. The same when they have have access to a new room. Dogs are very poor at generalizing behavior and very good at differentiating behavior. Such as if I sit next to Aunt mabel at dinner she will give me food but Mom will send me away. A new location is a call to challenge and discover what the rules are in that location.

Assume the dog is not house trained and start over especial if the bassement is a new area for the dog. Also a new routine can upset a dogs housetraining. But in either case it does little good to speculate on the cause. It is just so much more productive to assume the dog is not housetrained and start over. The second times always goes much faster than the first.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm glad I checked in at this thread! It's given me a "heads-up" for the new house!

Thanks!
:D

O

·
0 Posts
I agree with MikeyT.

Although, it could be Peanut's decorating contribution to the new room.

Peanut: "This puddle looks PERFECT here! Thanks Trading Spaces!"

·
Registered
813 Posts
My guess is he's marking the basement as his for some reason. With the disruption in routine, he may be feeling like he has to establish himself again to make things seem more normal. He'll probably settle down in a day or two. I suggest Woolite Pet Stain remover and Febreze and keeping an eye on him so if he begins sniffing at something with a little too much interest, you can herd him toward the door and say "no" to the marking.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We've had to deal with this in my son's back bedroom. I kept it closed off as he is away for college.... but if the door gets left open one of my dears will run to pee in there. So, on the theory that they think this room is "outside" I've started leaving the door open... and we haven't had an accident in there in several weeks. Give Peanut extra hugs from us and tell him not to be a naughty boy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts