Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight we decided to have murphy get used to sleeping in the kitchen. A couple of times today after he would fall asleep for a nap, I would lay him in his crate in the kitchen. Once, he actually stayed in there for a good twenty minutes.

Well, I just put him to bed, kept the crate door open but baby gated him in the kitchen. He has access to water and his pee pad and all his toys and blankies.

So for the first time this weekend he is down there by himself, and he's not happy about it. I feel so bad, he's down there crying his little heart out. And I remember having to do this with Oscar but that was 8 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

It's breaking my heart to hear him crying but having to leave him down there. He's gotta get used to sleeping by himself, and he can't stay in my room because it's all the way on the 3rd floor of the house and I don't want to get him used to sleeping up here, then not allow it later as he gets to be too big to carry.

So, is it ok that I'm just letting him cry it out and showing a little tough love by not running to him.

I'm crying too :(

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sendig you a hug- I don't have an answer- I caved and mine now sleep with me :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
When Daisy was a puppy we put her in a bathroom with a bed to sleep on and toys to play with. We always gave her a treat when we put her in there. After a few weeks she would go there on her own. She learned to accept the fact that this is where she sleeps. The treat helped alot. She would cry alot at first but soon got use to it. We both work and she would spend the days in there too. Alot of days I could come home at noon and let her out. At night we put a night light in there too.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's perfectly fine that you're leaving him in there to cry it out. If you go to him when he's crying he'll only learn that crying gets him what he wants and I'm sure you don't want that. He'll get used to it soon if you leave him be.

I remember going through the crate training thing with my bullmastiff and it was so hard on me. She'd cry and scream and it just broke my heart (and got on my nerves) but we both got over it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yay, Darrell. LOL That's the way it is here, too, but fortunately George prefers having his own bed and has taken over the couch. He doesn't WANT to sleep in our bed, though to be polite he'll come in the bedroom and snooze on the rug to keep the Monster in the Closet away until we've gone to sleep. Then he goes to bed on the couch.

Amy, are you SURE you can't just let Murphy sleep in your room from now on?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine will even whine until she we let her under the covers. It was so cute when she was a puppy. Now she weighs in at 50lbs. and it is a constant battle because like all toddlers she wants to sleep horizontally.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Creating a Nighttime Ritual

Crate Training

He's gotta get used to sleeping by himself, and he can't stay in my room because it's all the way on the 3rd floor of the house and I don't want to get him used to sleeping up here, then not allow it later as he gets to be too big to carry.
You maybe creating an even bigger problem if the dog learns that crying/ whining is a successful attention seeking behavior. You may far better off teach the dog over time to tolerate seperation during the night rather than go cold turkey with a young un especially in the stressfull first few days in a new home. Keeping in mind it is unlikely apasset puppy at 8 weeks can sleep the entire night without needing to go. You can for example for the first week keep the crate in the bedroom. on the second week start in the bedroom but on the last potty trip before breakfast leave the dog in the kitchen. When it gets use to this then Start with the earlier and earlier potty break. over time. You sould be able to aclimate the dog to being alone allnight long before he is too heavy to carry down the stairs.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Murphy will be fine. don't worry. I know just how you feel, Roscoe and I went through that at first. The treat and praising him for being in the crate/kitchen will help greatly. When we got Larryboy a few months ago he cried at first but after noticing that he got a treat for going in his crate he sometimes beats me there. Good luck :D !

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update..

Last night I let him stay in there for about 45 min then waited till he stopped crying for a minute then let him out. I've been sleeping with him in the living room, getting up with him so I can put him on his pad to pee.

Today, I will be putting him in the kitchen periodically at increasing intervals. He has all his toys in there, his water bowl, and his potty pad (which he is doing very well).

Unfortunately, at this time, it's not an option to keep Oscar in the kitchen with Murphy. Little by little Oscar is becoming more tolerant of the pup, but for the most part he tries to run away from Murphy. He hasnt done anything more than grumble at Murphy when he wants to nip, but I knew this transition for Oscar would take time.

Exhausted :) ,

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amy:

I is so hard to listen to them whine & cry. It does make you feel bad. When I got Rusty & Stickers they had been together constantly for one year. I couldn't even think about seperating them. I don't trust them to sleep loose in the house so I use what was my German Shepherd's crate. They BOTH sleep in there. She is 37 pounds, and him 42. They cuddle up. I think maybe small steps like you're doing and he'll do just fine. My Maggie Mae (ATB) HATED her crate. She slept in it for almost 2 years and whined off and on the whole time but I never gave in. Good Luck!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry, Amy, can't help you there, but good luck! That training with Daisy Jayne lasted all of 24 hours; the second night we had her, she was lying in a box on one of my old tee-shirts, and when we shut off the lights she began to cry. DH crumbled and put her in bed with us and she's still there. :) But I do love her snuggles in the night....

Best wishes!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I left Opus in the kitchen in his bed when he was a pup. He yowled like he was being murdered and I ignored him- although it was hard and very noisy. After nearly two weeks of this he suddenly decided it wasn't really getting him anywhere and he began to sleep. He is not allowed in my bedroom at night, when I go to bed and I'm waiting for my husband to finish turning off lights and locking the doors he comes down the hall and peeps in. I say 'Go to bed Opus' and he trundles off with himself. The reason he is not allowed in is bacause over a year ago he growled at my husband when my husband tried to tell him to go out. So I put him out myself, with a slap on the backside, and he was banned. Frankly it is nice to have a hair free room. When I read about people who can't sleep because the dogs are taking over the bed it just makes me laugh. Opus has his own bed and he likes it just fine. Be persistent, firm but kind, you pup is still very very young, but routine is important and the sooner it is learned the better for everyone concerned.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
He will be fine. He just needs to get used to the situation. After 3-4 days, he should get the idea and get used to it.

I remember I had to crate my dashund long time ago. He cried all night long (the first night), then after 3-4 nights, he was fine.
I know it is really difficult not to go there and comfort them. That's why we are bunch of sucker!! :D :D

You just have to be stubborn, like a basset! and have selective hearing! :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Darrell, that looks just like my house--except with the dog either fully on the pillow, or nestled in between the pillows. Makes for good cuddlin' on a cold night, tho! LOL
I actually have a hard time going to sleep without Daisy Jayne laying by my feet or legs, now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts