Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here but I have been reading these forums for quite awhile. I am mom to a wonderful basset named Harley. I got him when he was 14 weeks old. An elderly lady that my grandmother goes to church with was not able to care for him and I was wanting a canine companion of my own so we brought him home to us. He is 5 months old now and sweet as can be most days. :p

So anyway, I do have a question of my own. When I first got him I noticed that he would go over to his food bowl and carry food to either myself or my husband and eat in front of us then back to food bowl constantly like this until he finished his food. I thought then he was just needing reasurrance that we weren't going anywhere but he is still like this. He will literally get his food and stand over our feet and eat his food or treat. If we try to hide our feet he will eat over our shoes. :blink: I have countless times stepped into shoes with mushy dog kibble in them. I am thinking maybe it is a touch of seperation anxiety but we have worked on that and he no longer freaks out or pees everywhere when we come home. I just wonder if there is an issue that I have overlooked and what could I do to help Harley if something is bothering him. Thanks for listening.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!
Melissa

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a wonderful companion with Harley. I haven't any clue about the food, but hopefully some of our forum experts will chime in. Maybe if you just sat beside him and his bowl as he eats for awhile he would learn it is a safe place to eat. As he gets used to that slowly over the days move a little farther away each day until he is there eating and you are elsewhere.
You will have to post pictures of Harley.

S

·
0 Posts
Snoopy will grab 2-3 pieces of kibble and take it to the living room to eat and then go back to his dish and finish the rest. He does this every single time (unless he's absolutely starving) and he's a little over a year old now. I think it's just the way he likes to eat his food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts