Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
We haven't been here for years! I am hoping someone can help. Isabel is 14+ and has a bad tooth. I really don't want her to be knocked out at her age to remove it. Does anyone know of an alternative? Some pics of Isabel and Georgia :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Speak with your vet about possible options. My old guy Kermit had to have a tooth removed, instead of the usual anesthetic they gave him a fast acting injectable to knock him out and gave another injection to reverse it as soon as they got the tooth out.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Speak with your vet about possible options. My old guy Kermit had to have a tooth removed, instead of the usual anesthetic they gave him a fast acting injectable to knock him out and gave another injection to reverse it as soon as they got the tooth out.

Interesting - my old boy has a heart murmur and was scheduled for a dental recently. Unfortunately he'd been licking his front legs, thickening the skin and making the IV line they wanted to put in, to cover the anaesthetic if needed, not possible. It had to be aborted. Between then and now, he was diagnosed with corneal ulcers on BOTH eyes. So that is being treated and the dental on hold. Meanwhile I had asked about whether his dental could be done under sedation and was told that they can't keep such good control of the situation with sedation, as they can with anaesthetic (?)

So I'm interested in what your old guy was given and will ask about it here. I guess this is what they use in zoos when wild animals have to be treated?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts