Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone! I am so glad I found this website and message board! My family and I are wanting to bring a couple of "additions" to our family and I would like to know what your opinions would be. Our last dog was a sort of hound mix which we adopted when we lived in Alaska. Unfortunately, we had to let her go Jan 06 due to declining health and old age. It's been a year and we are ready to have another "critter" or two to share our life with. I have always wanted a basset and my wife really wants a beagle. So, is there anyone here who would like to share their opinion about our plan to raise a basset and a beagle? We live in Clarksville, TN and have been searching all of the internet in an effort to find what we are looking for. We home school 2 children ages 9 and 6. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated very much. Thanks!

James

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I of course second the comment about a rescue dog. Both of my dogs are rescues, but that wasn't supposed to be my point. I have 2 bassets and my neighbors have a Beagle. They all get along so well. And we certianly have the "musical" end of the street. :)

~Heather

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have a basset and a beagle! We got them at the same time so they could keep each other company outside, but they spend 50% of their time indoors with us. They get along great. They love to "sumo wrestle" and the beagle likes to grab something and play keep-away with the basset. The only thing is, our beagle boy gets in trouble quite often for chewing on something he's not supposed to and he frequently gets the basset in trouble, too:) We have to be sure everything is out of reach when the beagle comes in, but we never have that problem when the basset is indoors by himself. We can leave the basset alone in the house during the day and all he does is sleep on the couch. Here's a video and a few pics (just click on the pics to view them larger):

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Those are great pics!

~Heather

1 - 6 of 6 Posts