Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm always looking for information about the health of my Basset, Annie Oakley, so I figured maybe I oughta join a forum and speak with some other Basset lovers. I got Annie when she was 6 weeks old from a rescue organization who rescued her mommy from a puppy mill. Her mom was brought out here to California where she had 6 puppies. I had been looking for a tri-colored female for quite some time when I found the info from the rescue group.

Annie will be 6 years old this December and she is and has been a healthy dog. She is a bit overweight and needs me to trim her nails, but other than that she has more energy and spunk than I thought possible in a Basset Hound LOL. She is crate trained and sleeps in my room in her crate. Her best doggy friend is my parent's Jack Russell Terrier, Zoey. Zoey is a bit older, 10+ years of age, but they certainly keep up with each other.

So that's just a short introduction, I'm sure I have plenty more to say LOL.

I look forward to sharing stories and learning new things here.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome and we'd love to see pictures!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi 2hounds :)

I posted an album of some pictures of Annie, but I couldn't quite figure out how to embed a picture or two in the forum post. Also I used a picture of Annie as my avatar but it's not showing up, I figured maybe I needed to reach a certain number of posts prior to my avatar showing up.

Hope I'm right, lol. Any help would be appreciated :)

* Edited to show that I figured out how to get my avatar to show LOL...wrong box checked.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
She's adorable...those ears go on for miles. ;)

~Heather

·
Registered
47 Posts
:) Welcome!! We're fairly new too. Maxwell will be 6 months old on Monday and he is our first basset. This forum has given us tons of useful info and fun stories too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to the group! She sure is pretty! In reference to your spunky and energetic comment I think it's funny, cause people give Bassets the stereotype of them being "slow and lazy" but when I take Snickers to the dog park, she keeps up with the big dogs! Granted she just turned 1, but I don't think she's slowing down anytime soon!
And again welcome to you and Annie!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you again!

I have to admit, I was one who thought my basset would be lazy...not require much attention. WOW did she teach me different LOL. And I am way too much of a softie to have gotten a dog with such sad eyes!! I don't think this breed ever stops being cute either. I am definitely my dog's biggest fan. She's got me hooked! No complaints though :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah it's really just a myth that they are slow and lazy. Get my dogs to the park and they are running their fool heads off. Roxie is one of the speediest bassets in the ring as well. She has a very fast natural gait that I have a hard time slowing down for some judges. They are a very active dog who does slow down in some cases as they get older (just like most breeds) but not all of them do. My inlaws had a male basset who acted just like a puppy till he was about 10 years old. Some never seem to lose that puppy energy level... it's really dependent upon each individual dog as I imagine there are slow and mellow ones too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In general, Roscoe is pretty mellow around the house. However, he literally jumps for joy when we come home at night (all 4 paws off the ground), and when we let him and his "brother" Moose off-leash at the end of their walk, he's off like a shot. He's quick, and I fear for any bunny he goes off after, if we ever let him!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts