Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all!
My fiancé and I just joined Basset.net and we are loving all of the sweet stories about your pups.
We both love Basset Hounds and have been excited to eventually become basset parents when the time is right. We are both in our late twenties with full-time jobs. I will be attending a master's degree program starting in the fall with block classes only twice a week, and I will work remotely for around 15 hours a week, so I will have a lot of extra time on my hands.

We are seeking your expertise- my fiancé just found out that he will be leaving for a year long deployment in the fall. This changes our plans slightly, as we were planning on moving from our apartment to a house after our wedding next year. Another plan we had was to get a basset around the time of our move, as we both prefer to raise a pup on decent acreage.
Our pre-deployment counsellor suggested that an emotional support animal might be good for me while my fiancé is gone. Although we have always wanted a basset, we are wondering if an apartment would be a safe and comfortable environment for this dog breed. While we are active individuals and would have no problem with providing lots of physical activity and enrichment throughout the day, we are definitely concerned with raising this breed in a two-bedroom apartment for a year. We also wonder how our neighbors would feel about such a vocal dog.
Please give your honest opinions and experiences with bassets living in apartments, or just general information that could be helpful.
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
not all bassets are vocal if going this route you would be much better of with an older dog/rescue than a puppy. With an older dog you can find one with the right temperament for the situation, with a puppy that is a lot more of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
My biggest concern re the Basset and an apartment, especially with a puppy, would be having to get him outside for toiletting. Basset puppies are heavy, from the get-go so you'd need to be in a ground floor apartment, with hopefully a private outside space to use until he's had all his puppy vaccination. And to some extent it's the same with an older Basset re getting outside, especially with stairs.

So you'll see I don't favour Bassets in apartments, much as it can be done if you are prepared for the above. And then there's noise if you are out! An unhappy (lonely) Basset will howl which if within neighbour hearing distance, will cause complaints! Such a shame re your change of plans!

Finally, we didn't have our first Basset until we could afford for me to stop working full time - had that not been possible, there'd have been no dog, let alone a Basset. I was 30 before we had our first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts