Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone i'm new and i've got a new (8month old) girl. She is adorable but verry stuborn of course.
House breaking is new to her and i was hoping for sugestions from some seasoned owners.
We have been getting better and most of the time will pee outside, but can't get her to poop out there.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
To read old threads about housebreaking, you can do a search by clicking on "search" in the upper right of this page-

One thing that helped with Murray was to take him out on a strict schedule (every 2 hours or so and after playing, waking up, and before bed)- I would put his leash on and take him to his "potty spot" in the yard, then stand there until he performed, praised him, then took him back inside (no play time associated with potty time).

Once you have her on a schedule you can see when she poops in relation to when she eats- that should help alot because you'll know when to expect it-

Good luck- post pictures if you can!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I will look up old posts and try to figure out how to put up a pic.
Today was better only 1 accident so far!

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Thank you I will look up old posts and try to figure out how to put up a pic.
Today was better only 1 accident so far![/b]

one of the thing that I find that derails potty training is a lack of a clear signal to indicate the dog need to go out. Instead of trying to have the dog figure one out and you to understand it by osmosis it is often easier to train the dog signal in a specifc way when he want to go out. the link below is one of the easier methods.

House Training: Ring My Bell!

Potty Training Tip

and my favorite link on the subject

Housetraining Your Puppy

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
People who visit us are always amazed when they see Murray and Minna ringing the bells to go out, but you'll be amazed at how easy it is to train and how quickly they catch on!

Minna, our miniature dachshund, was 3 years old when she came to us, and had been trained to use a litter box- she was ringing the bell to signal us in just a day or two- Murray, who we trained as a puppy, actually took a little longer-

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I used the bells for Yogi as well. I started doing it when he was just a puppy and within a week he was ringing the bell to let me know he had to go out. Everytime we went out I would bump his nose on the bell. You would be surprised at how quickly dogs pick up on that. When he got older I took the bells down and now he just goes to the door to let me know he has to go out. He makes his little noises too just to make sure you know what he wants. It is actually very cute.
I also think that using a crate makes a huge difference in housebreaking a dog and like Murray's mom said a consistent schedule will help you realize when your dog needs to go out.
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, I read through one of the sites allready and was glad to see i am doing most of it right. I won't spank her and my wife thinks i'm not being firm enough. we just keep going out a lot, it has been a week now and have went from "going" when the need hits to 2 acidents in the house today . maybe thats not so bad.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback, I read through one of the sites allready and was glad to see i am doing most of it right. I won't spank her and my wife thinks i'm not being firm enough. we just keep going out a lot, it has been a week now and have went from "going" when the need hits to 2 acidents in the house today . maybe thats not so bad.[/b]
one management method to eliminate accidents that worked for many is to crate the dog when they can't be supervised, and tether the dog to you waist at all other times. Most dogs prefer a bit of privacy, perhaps a survival instinct because the dog in more vulnerable . This prevents the dog from sneaking off. there are leashes made specifically for attaching about the waist.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grcae has been here allmost 2 weeks now and when we got up this morn , we went outside first thing as usual
she took care of buisness (both) and made fast work of it, it was pretty cold, I was so glad!
and no accidents yesterday! Thank again for the sugestions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow the picture worked this time! (it dosen't take much to make me happy)
thats grace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts