Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well OK I know that it will be us being owned but you know what I mean! :p Really glad to have found a forum dedicated to this beautiful hound! Also glad to see some other people from the UK here, was a bit worried at first! :D

We have been thinking about getting a dog to join our family for some time now and we have decided we're now ready to be owned! We've had a difficult time deciding on which breed is most suitable I must say, first off we wanted a Basset Hound but I carried on looking and researching to ensure we got the right breed.

Yesterday I made a phone call to Heather at Dereheath as I'd heard they had a litter of puppies and as they are pretty much on our doorstep and have a brilliant reputation I thought that a visit might be a good idea! :D So we are due to pay them a visit a week on Friday to well and truly feel the Basset!

Really looking forward to reading more of all your experiences and hopefully in the not too distant future I will be showing off pics of our very own Basset! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just a warning if you go look at basset puppies you will be hooked. Welcome

·
Registered
52 Posts
:lol: Welcome to the world of Bassets! You might consider visiting Crufts's at the NEC Birmingham on Saturday 10th March (Saturday is Hound Day this year). There are usually around 170 Bassets...don't wear anything posh because you'll get covered in slobber and fur! You'll be able to meet and talk to breeders. Also visit the 'Discover Dogs' section, find the Bassets and talk to their slaves.

This forum is a great source of information about Bassets and their idiosyncracies :rolleyes: I'll add my two penn'orth...
  • An hour's walk with Jake and Harvey Hound is 55 minutes of peeing and sniffing and 5 mins of walking. There's no such thing as a 'quick walkie' with a Basset.
  • Bassets are slow to train. They consider everything VERY carefully before deciding whether or not to do it.
  • Bassets are at the opposite end of the scale from e.g. collies and spaniels. If you're expecting a dog that will run, play fetch, walk to heel etc then maybe a Basset isn't for you.
  • I understand puppies shouldn't be allowed upstairs for the first year or so since this can damage their backs and joints (more info please from the med. experts?)
  • If the house rule is 'no dogs on the furniture'...the rule WILL be broken!
On the plus side, they're affectionate, warm and loveable companions, extremely loyal and very sensitive (their feelings are easily hurt). When out walkies they attract a lot of attention from people saying "Ooh, a Basset...you don't see many of those about, do you?!" and "I used to have a Basset" followed by EITHER "never again!" OR "I'd never consider any other breed". We are of the latter persuasion!!!

Here in the UK a lot of Bassets are given up for rescue because their owners didn't realise what they were letting themselves in for and couldn't cope. I got Jake as a rescue from Basset Hound Welfare - a brilliant organisation that rehomes unwanted Bassets. www.bassethoundwelfare.org.uk

Jakehound and Harvey Hound (and their slaves) wish you careful consideration and good luck with your decision! Maybe see you at Cruft's...?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warning Copsmom! LOL! And many thanks for your input Jake's mum! :p I would love to attend Crufts and haven't ruled it out yet as it's only an hour or so away from home, just not sure if the kids would enjoy it as much as me! LOL! Nothing stopping me going on my own though! :lol:

I do have my concerns about owning a Basset and they are pretty much the points you've brought up below, I think these are the same reasons why I started looking into having a Cocker Spaniel! Problem is I'm sure each breed has it's own quirks and good points as well as bad points! :lol: It's just deciding which one's we can live with and which one's would be too much I suppose.

Assuming we're not snowed in on Saturday we're going to go to the Newark dog show to have a look around and meet various breeds to see how we feel.

Thanks again, lots of food for thought! :blink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome! I have to differ a bit with the description of the Basset. First I had Roi, a rescue that I got at 4 years old and he was 12 when he died. He was the best dog - not lazy or overweight, just a very nice, loyal dog that loved to go for long walks and chew bones. Then I was given Homer who came from a situation where he was abused and was extremely hyper, growled and snapped one minute and was cuddly and sweet the next. I tried everything I could to change him into a nice, normal dog that wouldn't kill my cats, but after 2+ years I had to give him to another owner. Hopefully things are working out for him. Now I have Baxter. I got him from a breeder when he was 3 months old and he is the sweetest, most loving little puppy!! He was an absolute angle when he first moved in, but he's now getting into his "terrible twos" I'm afraid - and he's only going to be 6 months old! :lol: He's just about housebroken, except when I'm at work, but I have papers/puppy pads down for him so it's ok. I also have two Lab mixes (rescues) and everyone is getting on just fine, although Baxter does like to tease the older dog, who is 14 1/2 and NOT amused! Oh, and he gets on with the cats as well! I don't think I can ever be without a Basset anymore. I absolutely love the breed. So, there's my 2 cents! :p

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
We are all very biased here, but you will get that from any breed lover you talk to. I grew up with non-hounds whom I loved very much. A friend of my mom's has a Basset who I though "Yeah he's alright," but a year or so that my childhood Dalmation died my mom's friend told me about a Basset who needed a home-into my life came Lily. She came to me knowing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING because her previous owners were not so great. I instantly feel in love with the breed. I now I have two and would get at least two more if my fiance would let me. ;) They are demanding, vocal, but oh so loveable. I couldn't imagine life without my 2. Once you see the Basset pups you will be hooked and I'm sure before long you will be adding your stories.

~Heather

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the wonderful responses! :D I think we're pretty much decided now that we will be getting a Basset, I've been busy researching and reading both on this forum and a couple of books and don't think we would have too much of a problem! I understand of course that all Basset's are different and we're not guaranteed to have an easy ride but fortunately I am a patient person and even though I had my doubts I think that with my determination we can make it work.

Really looking forward to visiting the breeder next Friday and will be asking her a few questions and getting to know more about them still but all being well we'll get there! :D

I would like a tricolour bitch but not overly fussy about the colour really! :lol: I received the information from The Kennel Club this morning so have a bit more to go on and this also confirms that the breeder we are visiting has some bitches that were born 11 weeks ago making them 12 weeks on the day that we're visiting! :eek: And I also have been told that they are tricolours! :D So I'm getting ever so slightly excited you could say!

Will keep you all up to date! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts