Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, delighted to find that there are Basset specific forums out there! :)
My boyfriend and I have had our hands full with our 3month old Basset for the last few weeks. They're a pretty rare breed here in Ireland so I've been full of questions. He's a bruiser at about 25lbs! I'm apprehensive as to how big he'll be when fully grown :)
Here's a picture of him when he was brought home

and a more recent one of myself and Duke

Looking forward to asking millions of questions and doing plenty of reading!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The bassets found in Norway,Sweden,etc are usually bigger,heavier dogs. Seems to be that gene pool.Good luck with him,he is a cute one.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi from us too... your pup looks gorgeous and will probably be quite big. I have two sisters who are 68lbs and 70lbs which seems quite heavy but they are both in proportion!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Duke is a cutie! Welcome!

You can probably find the answers to any questions you have on this forum, it's amazing. Great people, beautiful bassets!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Keli, welcome and beautiful pup. I'm in Ireland too and like you the owner of a big old boy. Opus during his prime weighed 36 kilos. He's a lot lighter now as he's 14 and I've reduced his weight considerably over the last two years to keep him active. He's a trim 29 kilos now, active and arthritis free- albeit slower due to age. Wishing you all the best your Duke, they're just the best dogs to own.
Arlene

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcomes everyone :)
Arlene where abouts in Ireland are you from?
I'll be lucky if he only gets to 60lb I think, he's just about 30lb already and hes only 14 weeks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kelli, Duke is beautiful,I have a 3 month old basset too his name is Barney and I know what you mean about being an handful,Barney thinks his name is Barney No...He is so much fun though I enjoy every minute with him.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Welcome. You'll love this forum and Duke sure is one solid hunk of puppy. He's adorable.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome... yes he definately is a cutie but you may be in for a rather large lap dog. My show girl is on the bigger side at around 60-62 lbs and her daughter I fear may surpass her as the sire is quite big and isn't done growing yet as he hasn't hit 3 yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts