Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben here. I have 2 sweet male Basset Hounds . Louie is a 13 year old (I rescued him at age 5) tricolor neutered gentleman in great health. Snoopy is a 3 year old (adopted him last month ) red and white intact dude.

Louie is very social and great with people. Snoopy is shy with humans but very sweet after a short time.

I adopted Snoopy from a person online who’s living arrangements changed due to a divorce and could no longer care for him. It was a major blessing as Louie is getting old and lost his ability to have pups before I even met him.

Nice to meet y’all !

Brown Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Comfort

Dog Cabinetry Purple Dog breed Comfort

Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Mammal

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I am a owner of a basset girl called Nellie she is a year old I have had her since a pup.
She loves everyone and has to meet owners and dogs on walks however she will flat dog a lot and walking has become a nightmare.
I love her to pieces but her stubbornness is so frustrating.

Would be grateful of any tips as this is spoiling our otherwise perfect relationship
Nice to meet you all.
Shirley

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
How I love the oldies (Louis). Would that I'd been able to have Frankie with me for another few years - taken from me (literally as this was in UK lockdown and my vet had to carry him into the Practice) at 10.5 years, and way too soon. Why do you (Ben) mention the inability to have puppies? Love em both as wonderful pets - seems they are getting along just fine. If you were to allow Snoopy to sire just one litter, their good relationship could well change.

@ Shirley. If this has only just started (going flat), it might be worth having her checked by your vet. Frankie would slam on his anchors after setting off happily and only want to get home, but this was towards the end of his life, not at a year old. Something may be hurting. When you get stubborn, all too often you have to change directions (in treatment), making them think what you want, was their idea all along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
I am a owner of a basset girl called Nellie she is a year old I have had her since a pup.
She loves everyone and has to meet owners and dogs on walks however she will flat dog a lot and walking has become a nightmare.
I love her to pieces but her stubbornness is so frustrating.

Would be grateful of any tips as this is spoiling our otherwise perfect relationship
Nice to meet you all.
Shirley
Hi Shirley. By “Flat Dogging” do you mean refusing to move and sometimes laying down when you try to pull? I have always called it “dead weight” Lol. I notice that Louie does it sometimes towards the end of the walk when he’s getting tired or when we approach home and he knows the walk is about to be over.

Alot of time also Bassets are slaves of their own noses. They may want a walk but some mystery smell in a neighbors yard may be so enticing that they forget they’re on a walk at all and their whole world becomes sniffing that mystery 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How I love the oldies (Louis). Would that I'd been able to have Frankie with me for another few years - taken from me (literally as this was in UK lockdown and my vet had to carry him into the Practice) at 10.5 years, and way too soon. Why do you (Ben) mention the inability to have puppies? Love em both as wonderful pets - seems they are getting along just fine. If you were to allow Snoopy to sire just one litter, their good relationship could well change.

@ Shirley. If this has only just started (going flat), it might be worth having her checked by your vet. Frankie would slam on his anchors after setting off happily and only want to get home, but this was towards the end of his life, not at a year old. Something may be hurting. When you get stubborn, all too often you have to change directions (in treatment), making them think what you want, was their idea all along.
The last 3 years have been tough and expensive with Louie. His health was perfect until right at age 10. Then he started getting lumps. He had the first removed and then went a while until a lump developed in his rear paw. The lump worked it way out through his toe and drained, it really did a number on his toenail. The nail would come in broken and shattered. A vet told us that if we had the toenail removed, we may be able to save his toe. We had the nail removed but in just a couple months the nail grew back in the same broken fashion. He toe was swollen and he was clearly in pain.

Around that same time, he developed some massive lumps. One on his rear hip grew to the size (i kid you not) of a small cantaloupe. One on his shoulder (which was just a tad smaller than the one on his hip) drained on it’s own but didn’t heal properly.

The timing was right for him to have all the lumps as well as his toe removed in one surgery. That was a couple months ago.. I think in May, He’s healed amazingly well and has a new lease on life. I don’t know how much time I have left with Louie so I am cherishing every day!

The reason I brought up his inability to have pups is because it was something I was wishing for when he was having lumps. If money were no object, I may even have considered having Louie cloned! That was before Snoopy entered my life.

Snoopy is a handsome little dude, so friendly too. I would not consider him becoming a daddy as long as Louie is alive. When Louie passes, it may be an option. Either that or rescuing another Hound.

I have been on a waiting list with the local Basset rescue (the same one I adopted Louie from) so I am not sure what the future will hold. If a dog becomes aval from the rescue I will adopt one regardless of how Louie is doing at the time, as long as they get along! 😃

Is Teazel the Hound in your pfp? Such a handsome little guy!

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Is Teazel the Hound in your pfp? Such a handsome little guy! [/quote}

That is frankie. Teazel is a whippet. Teazelmom used to be known as Frankie'sMom till she lost frankie in 2020

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
The hound I use, still, in my avatar is our Canadian-bred UK Ch. Verulam Morgan le Fay who remains the only Canadian bred Basset female to take a UK title. We lost her a long time ago now. I was indeed known as Frankie'sMum but switched to using our Teazel, our Whippet, who we still have. She should be 13 in October, all being well but she now has a Grade 4 heart murmur, so who knows. She has now outlived two of our Basset, Mannie, the last of our bloodline, and Frankie. I suppose I should change my avatar from Morgan to Teazel but she's nowhere near as photogenic (as any Basset really).

This was Frankie, at 4 months, just after we bought him. He was never a 'little guy'!! :p

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts