Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so here's Louie, our baby. He's 5 months old and he's a silver tricolour. A big suck!!!

this is when we first got him at 2 months

and now...grown a bit more

one issue we're having is his craziness over his food. Treats and peanut butter he's well behaved, but when it's feeding time he's mental. We've tried several things and they're just not working...any ideas? He gobbles his food so fast he sometimes doesn't chew and we want to curb this behaviour to prevent him from choking and so that it doesn't turn into aggression later in life.
thanks so much...
:D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
one issue we're having is his craziness over his food. Treats and peanut butter he's well behaved, but when it's feeding time he's mental. We've tried several things and they're just not working...any ideas? He gobbles his food so fast he sometimes doesn't chew and we want to curb this behaviour to prevent him from choking and so that it doesn't turn into aggression later in life.
thanks so much...
:D

Oh, is he cute! So far as his fast eating goes, there are bowls out with posts in them that slow their eating down a little bit--they are supposed to help prevent bloat. I think I got mine from Fosters and Smith. Why are you worried about him getting aggressive around food? Does he show food-guarding behaviors now?

·
Registered
775 Posts
He is adorable!! My Rusty inhales his food :blink: I am concerned about bloat or just throwing up all that food. So I got this from the internet. It doesn't make him eat slow, but it does slow him down. It was about $20. Here's a photo:

www.brake-fast. net

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put a tennis ball in his bowl. How often are you feeding him? Maybe he needs more frequent, smaller meals?[/b]

we're feeding him one cup (plus a bit) twice a day. We did give him more frequent meals when we first got him at 2 months and he was pooping 6 and 7 times a day...lol
so that's why we switched to twice a day...should we be feeding him more? He's also on a special "gastro" food because his poops weren't solid...(ok...now i'm getting gross).

as far as the aggression thing goes...if you try to take the bowl away while he's eating, he growls a bit. He doesn't do it as much, now but i can see how his behaviour could turn into food aggression later on. He goes absolutely nuts when we take his food out. He sits and appears good, but he shakes like a leaf from excitement and piddles a bit if you try to calm him down and wait...it just makes it worse. Then he DIVES into his food and it goes everywhere. We're hoping that since he's still young, he might grow out of his food obsession a bit..but we're not sure if that will be the case.

we'll try the tennis ball thing but i'm afraid he'll try and eat it..lol..
as for those cool blue bowls you send the pics of, they look interesting and i've heard of them, but he's gonna push them all over the floor cause they're plastic. We had to a really heavy bowl set and he moves that!!

thanks!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think you are probably not feeding Louie enough food and should go back to three times a day feeding. He is still very much a puppy. What kind of food are you feeding him? My dog, Yogi is five years old and he gets 2 1/4 cups of food total in one day, divided up into two meals. Now it has been a long time, but I am sure he was eating close to 4 to 5 cups of food a day when he was a puppy. Did you check with Louie's breeder or your vet to see what amount he should be eating? For every dog that I have had, when they were puppies I would go up and drop a "special" treat in their bowl while they were eating so that they would associate a human coming up to the food bowl with something good. I don't like to bother my dogs too much while they are eating but to this day, I still drop something in their bowl from time to time. Occasionally, I have given the wrong food to the wrong dog so it is nice to be able to get the bowl back if needed. If he is not getting enough food that might be why he is getting too excited and possibly causing some aggression, since he is probably very hungry. Anyway, I hope that this helps you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were never sure how much to feed Louie but apparently the vet is very happy with his weight. I've always wondered weather we should be feeding him more, but the vet doesn't think so.

About his aggression...don't get me wrong, he's actually not as bad as i'm probable describing. He lets us pet him and touch him and put our hands in the food bowl while he's eating...it's just if we move him or try to take away his food...which is understandable. But the excitement i've heard can turn into aggression later in life so that's why we wanted to curb that behaviour now before it becomes true aggression. He only growls quietly and has never bared his teeth and it's very seldom that he does growl, it's more that he gets so over excited that he's shaking and being a mental case over his food...but with his treats and bone, he's wonderful.

Perhaps it's just puppy behaviour and something he learned when he was with his brothers and sisters.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions...this is great!!!
It's nice to have some support, as we have been dog owners before, but never owned a Basset!

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rusty seems to be starving most of the time :rolleyes: He will be 3 years old in February. He is also on a special food due to IBS (loose stool). He gets 2 meals a day totaling 2 1/4 cups. Still he seemed hungry but I don't want him to gain anymore weight. His Vet suggested I give him fresh carrot & green beans for lunch. I am home during the day so it's do able. I give him & Stickers 1/2 each of chopped carrot and a handful of chopped fresh green beans. They LOVE the crunch, takes awhile to eat all those crunchy veggies! Also, it's cheap and low calorie. I thanked my Vet for the suggestion. It really has taken the edge off his hunger.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Louie is cuter than CUTE! What a doll!

Ruby used to inhale her food and after we took her to puppy kindergarten classes and she learned the word "easy", she slowed down eating. After we'd tell her "easy".....

Even now when we want her to slow down a bit, I'll put a little warm water into her kibble, stir it around to make gravy of sorts and tell her 'easy'. She's in doggy heaven with a meal like that but she does slow down when eating it.

I look forward to seeing more Louie pics as he grows up.

Janice and little Ruby

·
Registered
4 Posts
What an adorable puppy!
I especially love his jacket.
I think I'll try the carrot and bean idea with my "food motivated" beagle.
I wonder if you are feeding him enough food.
I feed my little Piddles three times a day. And about a cup each time of super premium organic dog food. She used to wolf her food down when I mixed it with water. But, now that i serve it to her dry she eats it nice and slow. She's quite different from my trusty Beagle, who wolfs her food down.
I love the pictures.
Sue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts