Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum but not to Bassets. I have loved discovering your community. Here's my concern. My family fell in love with a 2 year old Basset at a shelter this weekend. He's a wonderful boy. I had finished the adoption process and paid when I noticed on his health sheet a positive result for heartworms!! :blink: To the worker's credit, I think she just missed seeing this. Anyway, they couldn't tell me the severity of the HW's but said they would begin treatment tomorrow and I could take him home in 4 days. They would pay for his treatment and I would bring him back for a second round in a month.
What to do?! I had a much loved beagle/basset pass away (not from worms) earlier this year and was deeply saddened. The girls at the shelter said lots of strays come in with HW's and treatment is no big deal. If I adopt him, would I be setting myself up for heartbreak? Has anyone experienced a basset with heartworms? I would truly appreciate your input. I'm talking with thier vet tomorrow. I need to decide soon.
Thank you so much,
Deb

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I live in Canada and heart worm incidents where I live are very very rare. If I were you I'd do a lot of research on the subject... Talk to a vet, look it up on the internet and find out how bad your (future) dog's case is at present. I'm assuming there are different degrees. Maybe this dog was caught in time and there was no damage done?

I see a lot of dogs up for adopting on petfinder with heart worm problems but they are still adoptable.

Best of luck and I hope I was able to help a little bit. Hopefully someone on here with more experience will be able to tell you more.

Louise

·
Registered
939 Posts
i'm not sure of the new way to treat the dogs but the old way was tough,if your dog made it through,i think they would have improved it buy now.adopt the dog and enjoy it's company.after treatment make sure you give it a heartworm medicine year round.mine get it as soon has they can when they are old enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts