Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Elvis...heartworms are no fun. My golden got heartworms about a year and a half ago at the age of four due to ineffective medicine. I had Charlie on the heartworm prevention shots at the time and they turned out to be ineffective, the company paid for the treatments but it was a very scary and touch and go situation. Charlie had the first shot and then the second a month later. I noticed much of the same things as Bridget. Charlie seemed very uncomfortable for about three days after each shot...he would not eat and whinned all the time. It broke my heart to see him go through it and the vet said that he pulled through it well so I would hate to see a doggie that didn't do well.

Charlie was on kid's benadryl for about two and a half months to calm him down some (goldens can be very hyperactive). The benadryl really seemed to help Charlie, you might want to ask your vet about it for Elvis. The other thing I want to mention is to watch the injection areas carefully...Charlie developed a hot spot from one of his sites six months after the treatment...appearently the area can remain tender for a long time.

Best of luck to you and Elvis. I know this is a rough time but I'm sure Elvis will pull through :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.