Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is going to sound crazy but I wanted to get your opinion. When we got Daisy, the breeder told us not to put her on heartworm medication because Bassets have bad reactions to it. I asked my vet and he just laughed it off and basically said the breeder didn't know what they were talking about. Daisy is almost four months old and will be going in and starting heartworm meds. have any of you heard that Bassets shouldn't be on them?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My vet would be shocked to hear that your breeder told you that. General is on heartworm meds and has been since he was 4 months old. He loves to chew them and has never had any kind of reaction to them. He just went to the vet 2 weeks ago for his yearly checkup and is as healthy as he can be.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My three have been on heartworm meds since about 4 months also.None of mine have ever had a reaction of any kind.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Actually, there are certain dog breeds, mainly herding breeds, that have a bad reaction to one of the medications used for heartworm prevention. However, I'm not aware that bassets as a breed are known to have a problem.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
there are some breeds which have had bad reactions to the ivomectin --- ivermectin??? --- in some heartworm medications. i believe it's the herding breeds, collies and the like. if i'm remembering correctly, it has to do with some idiosyncratic mutation some of them have.

but bassets aren't among the breeds that have that problem. and even among the breeds that do, there are now heartworm meds that don't have ivermectin --- instead they have something called ibilomcm :?: :lol: imbecme --- well, it starts with an i and has m's and c's in it, and it's perfectly safe for all doggies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No problem with mine

I have large animals (4 horses, a goat that thinks he is a horse, a pot bellied pig) three basset hounds, and two other canine friends. Because we have a farm, we use Ivomac for all of the animals. My bassets have done just fine on it, but one has to be VERY careful of the dosage. Most vets don't recommend using Ivomac, unless you are experienced with the proper dosages. It has worked well for us, and has been very cost effective besides.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Do check with your vet. It's very, very safe for most dogs. I've had multiple bassets on it for years iwth no problems. I've had a dog with heartworms, and it was one of my worst dog health experiences.
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I read several times that "other breeds" (besides the herding dogs) and mixed breeds can have similar reactions to ivermectin as collies The only non-herding breed that I found specifically mentioned was the Skye Terrier. This breed has had similar reactions to ivermectin as the collie, including death. The Skye Terrier Foundation is now offering to owners of Skye Terriers a test free of charge for the mutant gene that was discovered in collies. See Skye Terrier Ivermectin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts