Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Basset Jack has been lethargic for the past three days. He seems a little better today, but On Saturday and Sunday he was quiet, and not his usual self. Jack wasn't interested in plaing with his sister, Basset Maggie, and kept to himself. Usually he's right under my feet. He ate a little but not with his usual enthusiasm. He also had long, mucousy strands of drool that I had to wipe off a few times. ( He hadn't been playing or exerting himself) At first I thought it might be the wet, humid weather, but then I started thinking about his heartworm and tick medicine. I put Frontline on on Sunday, Oct. 2 and gave him his Heartworm pill on Tuesday, Oct. 4. He as his usual,active self up until Saturday, Oct. 8. I live in an area with a high tick population. If I didn't I wouldn't use Frontline. Could these medications, Heartgard and Frontline, be making him sick? I've only noticed him a little listless after the medications about six months ago. Since then he always has been fine. Any thoughts or ideas? Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives? Would the twice a year vaccine for heartworm be better? Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
I don't really have any ideas as to what is wrong with your Jack. I hope you can find out. I'd call the vet and ask them. Also, didn't they recall the twice a year vaccine for heartworm? Good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
yes, they did recall the vaccine because it was making too many dogs sick.
I used a brand other than frontline once, and my molly started acting really funny, turning around in cirlces and really mopy. I quickly have her a bath and tried to wash as much of it off as I could and then she began to perk up within hours. Might want to check with the vet, could the dosage be too high?

·
Registered
369 Posts
The twice per year injection form of heartworm medication WAS taken off the market. What irked me about it was that my vet failed to inform me that it was, until I came in with 3 dogs for semi-annual checkups last December. I didn't like to pay for a fecal float test every time (times 3!!!). Even though they were current on their vaccinations, he couldn't prescribe Heartguard until he did another fecal float! Well, Iowa is not known for mosquitos in winter and he overcharges for the Heartguard anyway, so I got them on it in April, when the 'skeeters' start to think about coming back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by Scratch & Sniff:
and he overcharges for the Heartguard anyway,  
We know that feeling only too well! We were paying through the nose here in Japan, until someone told us that you could get exactly the same stuff via mail-order from Australia at a fraction of the price. Pay by credit card and you have it in a week...no problems.

A

·
0 Posts
try stretching the time out, can you get your schedule so you give one on the 1st and then wait till the 15th for the other.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I'm happy to report that Jack is back to his usual self. He's eating again, playing with Maggie, and Once again sticking to me like glue I'm finished with the Frontline until next spring. I think it may have been the Frontline even though he didn't get sick until several days after the application. I remember reading an article a few months ago about the importance of watching your pet's behavior after applying these flea/tick ointments because of adverse reactions. I'm pretty sure Jack became lethargic once before after I applied the Frontline, I give the Heartgard year around and have never seemed to have a problem. I like your idea ,ec, of spacing out the time. I usually do it the first week of every month so I don't forget, but now think the first amd fifteenth would be better. Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts