Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with heart disease in their bassets? Duke apparently has all of the symptoms. :( he's 7.
I spent all night at the hosp. with my 86 yr old father (3rd heart attack). When i got home, Duke, who has been sort of coughing for awhile now, was wheezing terribly. So off to the vet. :( again. we were there two weeks ago.
She suspects heart trouble, but hasn't ruled out an inflammation. So we are treating him for that first. to go back next week for 2nd xray.
First my dad, then Duke. If this keeps up I may be next!

Sandy

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't know anyone with bassets in particular but- I have many friends that have managed their pet with medications for years and they did fine. We lost Shadow, one of our Golden retrievers to congestive heart faulure at age 8. Apparently there was something with his heart that might have been congenital but he did not become symptomatic until older... we just didn't catch it in time :(

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad, and about Duke. Baby Duck posted earlier today about her Bulldog's problems which may be heart-related- Our doxie Hansel died of congestive heart failure, but he was 16 and he went pretty fast.I wish I could be of more help.You are in my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My brother's dog (Doberman) just died 3 weeks ago of cardiomyopathy, a form of heart disease. He started coughing 1st, then stopped eating & just laid around. He was diagnosed on a Wed. & died the next Sunday. He had symptoms less than a week before diagnosis. I hope Duke has something less serious. Thinking of your Dad too!

A

·
0 Posts
you and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers and here is to hoping duke does not have heart disease.

A

·
0 Posts
Sandy - so sorry to hear about Duke and your Dad. I know how much they both mean to you. Keep the faith and know we're sending drool to them both.

Lynne & Huck

A

·
0 Posts
Poor Sandy, so sorry to hear about your pop and your dog, but as far as I know Heart disease is not prevelant in Bassets. I hope whatever is troubling Duke is treatable and minor, take care, you are in our thoughts, Arlene and Opus.

M

·
0 Posts
I haven't posted on here in awhile since we lost Maggie Mae but I have been reading posts off and on. She started coughing and we thought she had a chest cold or something. We took her to the Vet and were shocked to hear she had heart disease. The Vet said it was just from being old?? She was around 13 1/2 at the time I think. She had told us the previous year that her heart was slightly enlarged but that is not uncommon in a dog that age. She prescribed Enalapril (human heart medication) and Lasix (human water pills). The heart medication helped open her valves I think to make it easier for everything to flow properly and the water pills helped with the fluid build up in her chest. She did very well until she passed away ( in her sleep). My Dad's poodle took the same medications due to heart disease for 5 years and did fine. I don't think heart disease is a particular disease of Bassets I think it is either genetic or just aging. But I know they do very well on the medications. I will keep a good thought for you.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Inherited heart disease, like cardiomyopathy, is not a significant problem in bassets. Bassets, like many older dogs, can develop valvular heart disease, as they age.

Chronic Valvular Heart Disease in Dogs, PetPlace.com
Valvular heart disease (VHD) is a condition characterized by degeneration and thickening of the heart valves. Valvular heart disease is very common and represents the most important of adult canine heart diseases.

Valvular heart disease is a progressive disease that is common in older dogs. Commonly affected dogs include poodles, Yorkshire terriers, schnauzers, cocker spaniels and small mixed-breeds. Some breeds, such as Cavalier King Charles spaniels, can be affected early in life.

VHD can affect a dog causing valve malfunction, which can lead to heart enlargement or heart failure with accumulation of fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) or the abdomen (ascites).
Chronic Valvular Disease
Chronic valvular disease can be thought of simply as 'leaky valves', caused when the moving parts of the heart valves thicken and harden with age. The result is more or less the same as when a valve in your central heating system starts to wear out: increasingly poor circulation
[ February 04, 2006, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

A

·
0 Posts
Bogie sends healing drool to you, your dad, and Duke. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: It may be too soon to be optomistic, but Duke has only had three doses of his anibiotic for inflammation, and his breathing has improved greatly already. He hasn't gagged or wheezed once today. So maybe it isn't heart disease, just an inflammation of his esopagus. I think I have an awesome vet, she wanted to rule out everyhting else, before putting him on a diuretic.
My dad, on the other hand, is another story. Nicest man ever, until you put him in the hospital, then he turns into a monster. He won't cooperate, and wants to check himself out today..
My husband is going thru similar stuff with his mom. I think we are getting paid back from when we were teenagers. :D

Sandy

A

·
0 Posts
We are slinging you drool from the pack. Hope it is just an inflamation. yvonne

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hi Sandy, Rosie is the same today too. She had had her meds since yesterday and today very little coughing and is trying to play ball and stuff, of course that didn't really work out. She is on the antiinflammatory as well, but also the diurectic so we are going out quite often.
I know how you feel! I'm right there with out.
I'm also sorry to hear about your Dad. I lost my parents about 11 years ago. Dad had been sick for about a year before he passed (lung cancer)
Your in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I lost my first basset, Bernard to congestive heart failure 3 years ago. He went really fast though, was diagnosed one week and the next he had to be put down because he was so uncomfortable.
My other dog's half brother (also a basset), Harvey, died of cardiomypathy the end of August, he too went fast.

I hope Duke is doing well. Heart disease is tricky and tough on all parties involved. My guys are sending healing drool to you and Duke.

Ashley

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Good to hear Duke is improving,
we sling healing drool over the pond!

I haven't heard about more heart diseases among bassets than any other breed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts