Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a very hard and scary weekend...

On Friday evening, my Fiance got home, and Josie (4.5 months old) had diahrrea all over our kitchen. Throughout the night, she kept having diahrea really, really bad. She then drank so much water that her belly looked very bloated.

At about 11:30 pm, she vomited a large amount of slime and food, twice. She seemed very 'out of it' and lethargic. She peed on my Fiance without even moving or getting up.

I began to panic, so I called the puppy ER and the recommended she come in.

She began violently shivering, so I wrapped her in her pirate towel, and drove her to the vet. She peed on me on the way.

We got her to the ER, and they did bloodwork (very, very expensive) and X-Rays. She had no obstructions, but her blood work was very 'alarming' according to the vet.

Her white blood cells were elevated and the red were low. They said it could be 'Parvo' even though the test came up negative. The Dr. said that she needed to be hospitalized and she was 'very, very sick.'

They then told me it would be $1400-$1600 just to admit her. My Fiance and I don't make a lot of money, but when the Dr. said it was 'an open prognosis' and that she could die, we admitted her and I paid the money. They said they would keep her all weekend.

The next day, we called to check on her and they said she was fine. Her bloodwork was normal and she was eating like nothing was wrong. She's a 'healthy puppy.'

They couldn't tell me what was wrong with her! I was livid! They told me we could pick her up.

The Dr. said 'We don't know what it is, if she gets sick again, bring her back.'

I was so frustrated to give all this money, telling me that her life depended on it, and then they claim that it's no big deal and that there is nothing wrong with her.

Anywho, what's important is that she is home and seems to be fine. I thought she was going to die Friday night. It was very scary.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i'm glad josie is ok! my fiance and i had a night like that about a month and a half ago with diarrhea all night with blood in it. what a nightmare. luckily it was nothing serious, just an infection that was treated with antibiotics that toby was not too happy about. after that i decided to get toby pet insurance. i'd rather pay a little bit each month than be stuck with a bill i can't pay. better safe than sorry! thankfully your baby is a healthy girl!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check out one of the pet insurance companies, We spent over $3000 on medical bills on our last dog, and she died from complications of surgery. Now we have pet medical insurance on our two pups not that much a month and they will supposedly (we haven't filed a claim for anything yet) reimburse you around 80%. I use VPI, VPI - Veterinary Pet Insurance - Dog Health Insurance Plans My sister uses PetPlan Pet Insurance Dog Policies from Petplan USA and there is AKC www.akcpethealthcare.com
and Pets Best. Pet Insurance for Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Insurance - Pets Best that also look OK.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hope Joise is OK now... the poor wee thing. Dogs are such a worry and I would pay anything to make sure my Bassets are OK and go without something I needed rather than see them suffer.

Have you had a Basset before or is Josie your first? There are a lot of people on here who will help you if you have any questions about Basset ownership. I know Josie is too young for proper walks yet, but I expect you know not to feed her for an hour after a long walk or before a long walk, because Bassets can get bloat and their stomach can twist and it's extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hig4s I am with vpi too. I just filed a claim Saturday because I took him to the vet. Ill let you know how it works out for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope Joise is OK now... the poor wee thing. Dogs are such a worry and I would pay anything to make sure my Bassets are OK and go without something I needed rather than see them suffer.

Have you had a Basset before or is Josie your first? There are a lot of people on here who will help you if you have any questions about Basset ownership. I know Josie is too young for proper walks yet, but I expect you know not to feed her for an hour after a long walk or before a long walk, because Bassets can get bloat and their stomach can twist and it's extremely dangerous.
This is my first Basset, but I'm no stranger to them. My Dad has owned 3. Edward, his first, died of Addison's disease. Bernie, his second, got bloat twice! He died after the second time. Sadie, his third, is 3 years old. She's a great pup.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i'd be pretty upset if i spent all that money and didn't have an answer as to why my dog was sick. i'm broke as a joke, and that amount would drain my bank account for sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
VB3 I don't think Dandelions are harmful at all... I have actually heard of people battering and frying dandelions and eating them....
Glad to hear that Josie is doing better. I would be totally upset if I paid all that money and they could not tell me anything. Most likley Josie ate something that did not agree with her, but still the vet should have been able to tell you that and for that money they should have been able to tell what it was and how much she ate.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
expect you know not to feed her for an hour after a long walk or before a long walk, because Bassets can get bloat and their stomach can twist and it's extremely dangerous.
This was often pronounce and still promoted advice though it has absolutly no scientific merit. It has been studied and exerecise before or after a meal does not effect bloat rates. It is simply not a factor. Bloat Study
Factors That Make Difference - These measures, long been thought to reduce the risk of bloat, were found to have no effect:

Restricting exercise before or after eating
Restricting water intake before and/or after meals
Feeding two or more meals per day
Moistening dry kibble before feeding

Factors That DO Make A Difference

These four (4) factors ARE associated with an increased risk of bloat in large breed dogs

1)Raising the food dish more than doubled the risk for bloat
2)Speed of eating -Dogs rated by their owners as very fast eaters had a 38% increased risk of bloat
3)Age: The study found that risk increased by 20% with each year of age. Owners should be more alert to early signs of bloat as their dogs grow older.
4)Family History: Having a first-degree relative (parent, sibling or offspring) that had bloated increased a dog's risk by 63%.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts