Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got Teak, a seven-year-old recently neutered male. He has a very strong body odor and the skin under his legs, on his tummy and chest almost feels greasy. A bath helped for less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Sound typically like a yeast infection that is caused by sebborhea. I recommend a consultaion with your vet and perhaps a vet that specializes in dermatology. Many have found symptom relief by using selzun blue, however there are shampoo's specifical made for dogs with these conditions that are probably more effective an since ph blanced of a dogs skin less irratating
some links

seborrhea oleosa
"Primary seborrhea is most commonly seen in the American cocker spaniel, West Highland white terrier, English springer spaniel, and Basset hound. "
"Primary seborrhea is an inherited disorder of the skin in which the outer layer of the skin (the epidermis), the sebaceous glands, and part of the hair follicles are hyperproductive. The rate of cell turnover in these tissues is significantly increased, causing excessive production of scale (dry flakes of skin) and sebum (fatty lubricating substance). Seborrhea oleosa is the more greasy form while seborrhea sicca is a dryer form. Many dogs have a combination of both types. Chronic waxy ear infections (otitis externa) also occur commonly as part of this disorder.

Signs of primary seborrhea are usually apparent by a year of age. Affected dogs are often greasy, scaly and smelly."

MALESSEZIA DERMATITIS"Some animals are battling seborrhea (excessive oil production of the skin) and thus are naturally predisposed to the yeast proliferation. Some animals are actually allergic to the yeasts themselves. The most important thing to realize is that yeast infections are not contagious but they tend to recur unless the underlying allergy, seborrhea, or whatever problem is controlled.

The following breeds are predisposed genetically to yeast infections: the West Highland White Terrier, Basset hound, Cocker spaniel, Silky terrier, Australian terrier, Maltese, Chihuahua, Poodle, Shetland sheepdog, Lhasa apso, and the dachshund."

What is shampoo Therapy

Shampoo Therapy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got some yogurt today and gave him a dollop. I don't know whether it was the yogurt or the fact that today was his last day of the ear drops for the ear infection, but his "stink" seems to have disappeared. I never thought of yogurt as a miracle drug, but if that's what it was, it ranks right up there with the Salk vaccine. I assume it's an ongoing regimen, a preventive as opposed to a curative. It's probably good for him and Rosie, the non-smelly one. Thanks to everybody who offered suggestions.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Mine get some every day (even the piggy little chihuahua mix, because he can't stand to be left out). It did my Copper a world of good, when we first got him you couldn't stand the smell of him! I do hope it helped, and good luck.
Cindy

PS: Fred said to tell you she prefers vanilla yogurt! :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love Fred. He's a very funny hound. I'm not sure mine have refined enough palettes to care whether the yogurt is flavored. I made a "fatten-'im-up" concoction for Teak (turkey, wheat germ, oatmeal, Total cereal, eggs, molasses, veg oil, and what was supposed to be unflavored gelatin.) Unfortunately, with my usual careful attention to detail, I bought Tropical Fruit flavored (Oh, yuck!). Does he care? I think not. It's great stuff, by the way. He gained three pounds the first week. He's not abused malnourished, just a little "ribby." But he's looking healthier, has more energy, fits his skin a little better. He'd have to put on 50 pounds to fit all that skin, but he'll have to stay wrinkly. Why should I be the only one in the family?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Ain't that the truth???? Wrinkles must be in these days, or I wouldn't have so many of them! :D
By the way, though, Fred is a girl. One of those long stories, but shorten it to say that my son gave her the name Fredrika. My Irish heritage won't let me holler a German-sounding name....and Fred is a big spoiled baby!
Cindy
But she is a picky eater, with a very discriminating palate for her sweets...!

[ November 12, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: momof2slobberslingers ]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cindy,

It must be the Irish heritage that makes Fred so funny (I'm Irish, too). Please apologize to her for the gender error.

I'm sure Teak and Rosie also have very discriminating palettes and we have just been lucky to choose all the foods they love (which so far has been every food and food group in the house).

Rita

·
Registered
494 Posts
Brewer's Yeast comes in little tablets (you can find them at most pet stores, WalMart or your grocery store in the pet aisle). It is one tablet per 10 lbs. and I just put the pills in with their breakfast every morning. They really like them. They do include garlic so any little ones with an allergy to garlic should not use it. Shyla totally stopped shedding and that funky smell has gone away!! Now she just smells like a dog! :p LOL But it is not a bad smell at all. My weim also smelled really bad before and now he's great. Their coats look and feel so much better. It was really like a miracle for us. I do not bathe my dogs, only when they are going to the vet the next day. Also, I noticed that Shyla was not scratching anymore and she has not had a hot spot since being on this. I really recommend this. It is very inexpensive - about $3 to $4 dollars for 100 pills.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to get some Brewer's Yeast tomorrow and try it. Tomorrow was going to be bath day for Rosie and Teak, but I think I'll get the brewer's yeast and try that first. They're both wonderful in the tub, even if they are a little "deer in the headlights" about it, but my back kills me bending over the tub for that long. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the info on Brewers Yeast. It sounds like it would help my hounds alot! question though, and, i do not pretend to know alot, so excuse my ignorance :confused: . But, is it a good idea to give the yeat to them if they have skin infections or have yeast infection problems? also, does it matter what age they are when you start them on it.

Adam

·
Registered
494 Posts
I could not really answer that as I only know what my experience has been but I do know that Shyla does not sit around and scratch anymore and her coat is very nice. I have run out of the Brewer's Yeast and need to get more but have noticed that when I do not give it to her regularly she does shed a lot. When she is on it, the houndy smell is really not present, she doesn't itch and there is not fur flying everywhere. I started giving it to her when she was one but Blade (7 mos.) has been on it for a few months. It goes by one pill per 10 lbs. If you are uncomfortable giving it to them, a little reading up on it wouldn't hurt. Oh, it also contains garlic, which is supposed to repel fleas and ticks. I have NEVER seen a flea on Shyla but I do use Revolution so can't say for sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm so frustrated. Teak seemed to be fine for a couple of weeks, getting yogurt and Brewer's yeast. But now his tummy is all broken out again and he itches and smells again. I just feel so bad for him. I know he's uncomfortable. he feels greasy again and smells again. Can dogs take Benadryl? If so, how much? I'm almost ready to get a collar from the vet so I can put Calamine lotion on his tummy. He's just chewing himself raw. Any and all suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can give them one tablet of Benedryl. My mother's dog takes this pretty regulary to keep her from scratching.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I personally have been using the plain yogurt for almost a week now, and I have noticed a big difference with Daisy. She is not as strong smelling anymore. I also bought an ionic pet brush that is supposed to brush away the odors as it cleans, so between the two it has helped alot! I am so glad someone here suggested the plain yogurt! Thanks. :D :D :D

A

·
0 Posts
Help the ignorant here. Where do you get an ionic brush? Petsmart? Is it working for you? Benedryl--my Max is about 70-72 pounds. Our vet tells me that he can have 2 Benedryl at a time--up to six a day when the itching and allergies are at their worse.

Mike, Max's daddy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts