Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Barney’s nearly 11 months old. He’s loves his walks but will get the smell of a dog or animal in his nose and he sets off! Also loves humans so will chase a jogger for a stroke! He doesn’t stop until he gets to what he can smell and doesn’t respond to me calling his name - it’s like he’s in a zone. We’ve had 4 bassets before him and none were like this! Can anyone help with advice please? (He also massively pulls on the lead...)
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Hi, Barney’s nearly 11 months old. He’s loves his walks but will get the smell of a dog or animal in his nose and he sets off! Also loves humans so will chase a jogger for a stroke! He doesn’t stop until he gets to what he can smell and doesn’t respond to me calling his name - it’s like he’s in a zone. We’ve had 4 bassets before him and none were like this! Can anyone help with advice please? (He also massively pulls on the lead...)
Thanks so much.
You have a BASSET :D and what he's doing is par for the course, given the opportunity, with any self-respecting hound I'm afraid. I well remember one time when, out with our then two, one took off as he was wont to do. Happily (although frowned on) he babbled when on a hot scent so we knew exactly where he was (this was out in Canada, in Wilket Creek, Toronto). So my sig.other was able to go to where the noise was. He was so fixed on the scent that he literally ran straight into him. I don't know who was the more surprised.

On another occasion, back in the UK, my lot put up a herd of deer which I'd not spotted. I was able to stop all but our youngest bitch who was 9 months at the time. She took off, baying her head off across the fields just south of Cambridge. I left my husband to follow her whilst I took the others back home and set off again to join him. I met up with the local gamekeeper and warned him we had a loose one. He said there were no traps out in that direction (yoiks I'd not thought about traps but knew he carried a gun in his cab and would use it, if needed). Thankfully I met up with Rob with Canuck on her lead, grinning from ear to ear. I wasn't happy given her age and the distance she'd covered but she was still sound. After that episode, she was on her lead, with me letting her off now and then, calling her back to me as we walked, but not putting her back on the lead so she didn't think she comes to me = being back on the lead. I just had to have eyes out for anything we might flush! She learnt.

Be very careful re chasing joggers or even bike riders - you could end up in trouble there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maisie is ten months and is rarely let off the lead because she is off and running. Other owners, especially those with treats are more attractive and other dogs are more fun. Bribery with pieces of sausage works sometimes, but recall is at best a negotiation.

The basset attitude of 'what is in it for me? ' seems to prevail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts