Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
the main one being her desperate fear of my husband. We assume she was mistreated by a man before showing up at our door.
Actual most such fears are general from a lack of proper socialization as a puppy rather than mistreatment. A puppy that has little or no contact with men when an adult with fear them. A dog that has been abuse by a man will general fear than man but not all men. Of course there is no way of knowing for sure.

Was Your Dog Abused?

Top Ten Common Dog Fears and Phobias
It may surprise people to learn that it is fairly common for dogs to be afraid of men. While in some cases this fear may stem from being abused by a man, most of the time it is due to lack of socialization. Dogs who are fearful of men should be slowly desensitized to men in a nonthreatening manner. Keep in mind that a fearful dog may growl, snap, or bite someone as a result of this fear.[/url]

She was okay with the male vet, but my husband and a family friend of ours freak her out. She just rolls over with her feet in the air, or cowers and walks sideways away. We had a small victory when we started having my husband feed her and giver treats.
I would suggest CAUTIOUS CANINE - HOW TO HELP DOGS CONQUER THEIR FEARS, 2ND EDITION

for a systematic counter conditioning/desenstization program to help with her fear. other resources include fearful dogs

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.