Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Having dogs must be a lot of work? - a neighbour asked me the other day.
- Yes, I admitted - like having children. (I knew he had a child)
- Early up in the morning, he said.
- I have raised 2 children and 4 dogs, so I guess I've spend a lot of work, effort and money, I replied.

Thinking about it, having kids, dogs, house and garden are a lot of work.
But they are some of the things that has given me the greatest pleasures,
and I haven't regret it for one minute.

What's your point of view?

·
Registered
987 Posts
four leggers vs. two leggers

I would have to agree having dogs especially more than one is a lot of work. I imagine kids are too. I personally have chosen to raise four leggers rather than two leggers. That is no offense to anyone raising or having raised the two legged variety. Just not my thing.
I love my neices and nephews and younger cousins, but the best thing is that they go home at the end of the day and I get to sleep with soft, slobbering four leggers!
To me that is the most wonderful reward.
I know all kids regardless of the number of legs they have grow and act based on how they are raised.
But I feel there is more satisfaction with my four leggers.
But that is just me.
As far as work, you know it!
Rosie (bulldog) has to have baby wipes for her face everydat, a special kind of medicated pad for the allergies on her tummy. She has chronically wet ears!
Lily, (hound) is well a hound.
Molly (golden/chow) is so loving and sweet but can boarder on the neuratic sometimes.
she is runs from any kind of ball, soccer ball, basket ball, football. I think it is a scar from her previous life.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I fequently say that if I didn't have animals, I would not have to travel 30 miles one way to work to make enough money to support us! The local jobs don't pay much.

I have two married daughters, one grandson, two step-sons, one step-daughter. Till Mike and I got married in 2004, I was a widow, raising the girls by myself.

Our four legged family consists of the two bassets, one pointy ear dog, one horse, one cat and one parrot. Mike has been riding a friend's horse and it's really great doing what you love with someone you love.

Yes, a lot of work, and a lot of troubles over the years, but I wouldn't trade! I agree with you Steinar, no regrets!

Alice

·
Registered
511 Posts
If they are not like kids, they are darn close. I just spent the morning wiping down all the "drool droplets" off the walls. It was like a little kid wiping their snot all over the house, because it was all about 3-4 feet high.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Absolutely my poochie is a lot of work and worth every minute of it, too! :lol: He's my only baby and I've had multiple dogs (and cats) in the past, too, (no two-legged babies) but really, what would we do for aggravation if we didn't have dogs? Whose belly would we rub? Who would make us go for walks???? :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
If a picture is worth a 1000 words, then this says it all. Steinar, we agree, it is all worth it! Anything worth doing takes effort.

PS--the kid is part Norwegian -- gets red ears when tired :D

M

·
0 Posts
We were not able to have 2 legged children so we got Maggie Mae. She was our precious baby! We doted on her and spoiled her rotten. She was ALOT of work! 15 + years of being her Mommy (servant). If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing! She was such a joy to us. Having Rusty & Stickers is twice the work but also twice the joy! Our furbabies will always be dependent on us. They never grow up and leave the house. In fact, as they age they get to be more work. I think the puppy stage and the golden years are the hardest. But that's what you do when you're a dog parent. Love them unconditionally from the day we bring them into our home till the end. They are truly "angels with fur"!

A

·
0 Posts

What a beautiful Hound Dog you have. The picture of him on the rock is classic!

·
Registered
119 Posts
no regrets
one two legged which we wouldn't be without it took us 12 years to get her.
over 36 years of marriage six of the four legged type 1 chow/old english sheepdog, 1 old english sheepdog, 3 chows and last year we got our first basset who has been more of a challenge than all the others put together.
within the first 2 weeks I wondered if I had made a mistake but the help of this site I realised she wasn't naughty just a basset with lots of fun.We wouldn't change a thing and certainly wouldn't part with our basset who has taken over the house and our lives.

·
Registered
104 Posts
that's Doris, right? awesome looking Dog!!! how much does she weigh? do you mind my asking? just curious. thanks.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
No 2-leggers to compare to, but I wouldn't trade my tribe for anything!

There are days when I wish they wouldn't all demand my attention at the same time but those are few and far between.

When I watch them I realize that they are a great gift to me.

H

·
0 Posts
No regrets here either! Although I never raised kids, I can hardly keep count of all the pets I've rescued and raised. I presently have 1 Basset, 2 Lab mixes, 5 indoor cats, 2 indoor bunnies and 2 parakeets. I work 40 hours a week, but I do have a housemate who shares the load - otherwise I couldn't do it. But when I do feel overwhelmed, I think of where these guys would be if not with us and it gives me such joy to know that they have good homes, food, big soft beds, and lots and lots of love. Also, they make me laugh a lot! :lol:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Having had both I'm not sure which is more work... but I sure wouldn't be without them :)- Wendy

S

·
0 Posts
They are a lot of work but worth every penny. People understand why you take your children to the doctor, make sure they eat right, and take the best care of them you can. Some people don't understand this when it comes to pets. Ehat my pets give me in return is priceless and worth much more than money.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Owning dogs does require time, energy AND money - but they are absolutely worth it!

Before we got Maggie and Roscoe, we had two other dogs, both of which lived to be 18. Through the years we dealt with just about every health issue you can imagine. Whenever they got sick, we tried to get them the best of care. We probably spent a small fortune on vet bills, but we never even questioned it. If what we did made them healthy and happy again, then it was worth it. We still miss those two so much.

Since Maggie and Roscoe are still young, all we are dealing with is some puppy energy and a serious shedding issue (we have to vacuum every other day!). With all of the love they give to us, we would do anything we could to make them happy and keep them in our lives.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
In my humble opinion, they are just about as much work, but more rewarding! :D

They adore me, never talk back.

They are MUCH cheaper, even with your average vet bills. (they don't ask for loans)

They provide me with lots of entertainment, and make me feel needed. I love how Moose will lick my foot as I fill his food dish, showing his gratitude . (Or maybe I just spilled something on it :roll: )

My kids say my hounds have a better life than they did growing up. I think they do too! :D

Sandy (I really do love my kids)

·
Registered
773 Posts
We had four kids, now ages 26, 24, 22, and 20. They were a lot of work, brought endless joy, and some heartache. I had many sleepless nights, and the busy days flew by in a nano-second.

We've always had at least one dog, usually two, and I've found them to be a lot less work than the kids. They're also a lot more appreciative of a meal or a scritch or a hug.

My kids insist that I never treated them the way I treat Charlie and Edith Ann, but I remind them that I certainly did treat them this way when they were two or three years old!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts