Basset Hounds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Changing the standard had nothing to do with "health" and everything to do with appeasing the animal rights activists. The KC has bent over and the UK dog fancy should be embarrassed by that.

I've been breeding in accordance with the standard for over 20 years, and my dogs are quite healthy, thank you. You know what? I DON'T want sickly dogs. I DON'T want huge vet bills. I DON'T want MY PETS to suffer or die young. What I'm breeding for sale, I'm also breeding for myself and I want what other pet owners want - a healthy companion.

Please do some further reserach before embarrasing yourself in this fashion again.

And just wait until I have a chance to pull up pictures of QUALITY dogs from 50 years ago, so you can see "how much" the breed has changed since then. (Hint: not much)

But yeah, it's PERFECTLY acceptable to insult the beloved pets of those of us who show and breed. I don't go around calling your mutts stupid, sickly, neurotic or deformed, but it's okay to call MY dogs those names.
Well the KC dont change standards for no reason, there is no smoke without fire !! and I havent embarrased myself at all.

And talking of who is insulting..... you really ought to go back to one of your first posts, where you made slanderous remarks about a breeder that you knew nothing about and accused of lying and trying to pull a fast one by selling bad quality pure bassets as cross breeds !! What a load of crap. I would have thought that being from the US where everyone sues for everything, you would have learnt by now not to make defamatory remarks about people.
Our mutts are not sickly neurotic or deformed, so again that would be a false ignorant assumption on your part.

Fine, you dont agree with crossing bassets, do I care what you think...No. I am happy with my springbatts as are plenty of other people. So you just stick to you bassets and I will stick to my springbatts.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You can't convince us what these so-called -breeders are doing is a good thing because it isn't.I say that concerning all those taking one breed and crossing it with a totally different one.They are the irresponsible "breeders". So take your dogma somewhere else. I am not being pleasent about this because it is my home ground you are intruding upon and I take it personally.Go and enjoy your mixed breeds. This is all I will say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No-one was trying to intrude on your home ground. I think it is more the other way around. Like I have said many times, you are entitled to you opinion, as I am. It was you that got peoples backs up by being down right rude and slanderous about something you knew nothing about. One of the many improvements of springbatts is that they dont have the whelping problems that bassets have, no c-sections needed as routine birth methods.Surely that has to be better for the poor bitches.

I will finally close on this subject because we will never agree and in future I will stick to the more friendly well moderated sites that have more open minded,literate and less biggoted people on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find it quite sad that a forum, that started with a positive post about a dog that has some connection to the bassett, has been received so negatively by so called dog enthusiasts. As owners of this little known dog, I felt it beneficial to give informed information about what was being discussed. When most of the people commenting on here had never heard of a Springbatt before, how could they possibly provide any comment based on fact, particularly when they don't even bother to actually read the breeders website!!!
Unfortunately, many of the members of this forum have come across as small-minded, ill-informed and very unpleasant. It is a shame when so-called responsible adults are unable to have a discussion without it becoming personal and full of false accusations.

By intruding, I assume you would rather be able to slag off something you know nothing about without being told how wrong you are by people who actually know the dog you are talking about. Unfortunately, it is people with your attitude who have helped to bring the pedigree dog world to the sorry state it now finds itself in.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ok I'm back. First my dogs have never needed a c-section and that is true for many basset breeders.But just like in any breed something can go wrong and one will need a c-section, so now that I have informed you on something you know nothing about and apparently there are many things you don't know since you are not a breeder of any breed I would not be so quick to jump to conclusions.
Another thing,that article from the UK sounded to me like they were talking more about puppy mill irresponsible breeders,again, jumping to conclusions. Why would you think we would have just a nice talk when you start criticizing a breed most of us have decated our lives to trying to improve.(not by breeding it to a different breed.) You have insaulted our inteligence ,you would not take kindly to one of us going to a springbatt-or whatever, website ,if there is one, and inviting ourselves to join in your conversation or give my unsolicited opinions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh dear, you really only read what you want to read and blinker out information that doesn't fit your rather narrow minded prejudices don't you!!
The report does mention puppy farms, but a significant proportion centres on the breeding of pedigree dogs.
I have no idea who has criticised your beloved Bassett on here, again you obviously only read what you want to read. I think the Bassett is a lovely dog and have no issue with anyone who owns them. My point was that I didn't want a pedigree animal of any breed because of the higher predisposition to genetic conditions, and this is why I chose to have Springbatts. I wasn't trying to have a watered down version of any dog, I just wanted a dog that would hopefully have less predisposition to genetic conditions but I would know what it would be like as an adult.
The negative comments originate from other Bassett owners on here who obviously have a snobbish attitude to anything other the 'pure' Bassett. Everyone is free to make their own choices, I was simply offering my reasons for choosing the Springbatt. They are not an 'inferior' breed. All dogs are beautiful creatures whatever their parentage or lineage.
I too will now close on this subject as to be honest I prefer to associate with more openminded individuals, without such obvious prejudices against things that don't fit into their idea of 'perfection'.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My sincere apologies to you Sophie,and other members of this board.I let them get on my every last nerve and I shouldn't have.Usually I never come off that strong on anyone but I guess I do have my limits and in that case I just shouldn't read the posts.I will have better judgement next time. Forgive me please.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
No need to apologise bubbad... everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it would be odd for everyone to agree all the time! ;)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just browsing, looking for other photos of black bassets!! And came across this thread. The people linked to by the OP are known in the UK. They started out producing Bassets (not really what I'd call top quality - there was one owned by the people who ran the Boarding Kennel I worked in - nice enough hound, but his main fault was how 'dry' he was) some years ago, and then decided to switch to producing Bassets mixed with Springers. I hesitate to suggest why but as with others who are mix-breeding, the income can be better!!! 'Rare' and all that. For the life of me I don't understand the need to be mixing breeds (other than perhaps for commercial reasons) when it would have been so much better to work on establishing a top quality Basset bloodline.

Yes, they are appealing - but aren't Basset puppies? But for me, that's where this kind of breeding starts and ends. Just to say it's a shame when people resort to this kind of breeding.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't think anyone was suggesting your dogs are stupid, sickly, neurotic or deformed.

Bassetts, just like other pure bred dogs, do 'have a genetic predisposition to a number of disorders that one should be aware of' (Bassettnet - vet info)
Everyone has a free choice on whether they choose to have a pure-breed or cross-breed or whatever. My choice was to not go down the pure-breed route, of any breed, as I wanted to minimise the risk of genetic health issues, but still wanted to have a good idea of what I was taking into my life. The Springbatt gave me that.
I appreciate that not all dogs of a particular breed will experience the conditions they may have a genetic predisposition to and will lead long , healthy lives, but that is unfortunately not always the case. I previously have had pedigree breeds, and they did experience common breed problems.
In my opinion..

Mixing doesn't cancel out bad genes, as so many "designer" "breed" fans would like you to think. These dogs just get a mix, and if the parents are unhealthy then the pups will be do.
Responsible breeders do health checks and clearances etc, and only breed healthy dogs. As a result, their pups are healthy! Yes, there are some bad breeders out there who don't, but the ones that do will have healthy dogs.

The issue is not mixed breed dogs vs pure breed dogs, the issue is irresponsibly bred dogs vs responsibly bred dogs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with mixed breeds. People want them so someone produces them and we're entitled to like and buy what we want as consumers. But Oakley's mom/dad makes a good point, there needs to be responsible breeding.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
there needs to be responsible breeding.
But IS messing around with breeds that were originally developed for a specific purpose (not for money!) over many years and generations (so they eventually bred true), responsible breeding? Yes the consumer is entitled to put their money where they want to of course, but logic should tell you that when a BYB starts breeding two breeds together (it's hard enough to get it right when you put two bloodlines together, especially if they've never been mixed before!) using what was original pet stock, untested and with little more thought than yes, money, the result stands more chance of being a disaster than not. And hanging a stupid name on the result, using a combination of the two breeds just means the gullible are persuaded to part with their money, thinking they are buying into some thing 'rare' or 'special' when they are most certainly not. People buying a mix-bred dog may get lucky. They may not.

Hidden suffering of cross-breed dogs bred to be cute | Daily Mail Online
For information. Food for thought?

·
Registered
43 Posts
But IS messing around with breeds that were originally developed for a specific purpose (not for money!) over many years and generations (so they eventually bred true), responsible breeding? Yes the consumer is entitled to put their money where they want to of course, but logic should tell you that when a BYB starts breeding two breeds together (it's hard enough to get it right when you put two bloodlines together, especially if they've never been mixed before!) using what was original pet stock, untested and with little more thought than yes, money, the result stands more chance of being a disaster than not. And hanging a stupid name on the result, using a combination of the two breeds just means the gullible are persuaded to part with their money, thinking they are buying into some thing 'rare' or 'special' when they are most certainly not. People buying a mix-bred dog may get lucky. They may not.

Hidden suffering of cross-breed dogs bred to be cute | Daily Mail Online
For information. Food for thought?
Let's pretend for a minute that said breeder actually knows about breeding, so they pick two healthy bloodlines-genetically tested and everything. And let's assume they produce healthy pups, but not necessarily the best working dogs. Most of us don't hunt so whether the basset/springer mix is a good hunter wouldn't really make a difference to that particular dog owner. Would it make a good companion dog? I think so.
I do understand what you're saying but I think the rationalization I gave is the one most people use.
It's really unfortunate that people don't breed responsibly and that goes for purebreds, too.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
A Breeder is anyone who's allows their bitch to have a litter & as to someone who 'actually knows about breeding', well I'd prefer someone who did a little more research than pick two healthy bloodlines.
As for expensive crossbreeds, call them what you want; Bagel, Basschshund, Bowser, Bassoodle, Busug, Basscottie, Baskimo the list goes on. They are not breeds but crossbreeds & IMO anyone who forks out for one is a mut, - sorry - but if a good family pet is wanted then don't fork out for an expensive crossbreed, look in your local shelter where there are far too many looking for a forever home.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
A Breeder is anyone who's allows their bitch to have a litter & as to someone who 'actually knows about breeding', well I'd prefer someone who did a little more research than pick two healthy bloodlines.
As for expensive crossbreeds, call them what you want; Bagel, Basschshund, Bowser, Bassoodle, Busug, Basscottie, Baskimo the list goes on. They are not breeds but crossbreeds & IMO anyone who forks out for one is a mut, - sorry - but if a good family pet is wanted then don't fork out for an expensive crossbreed, look in your local shelter where there are far too many looking for a forever home.

Yep, pretty much sums it up!! Having devoted my dog-years, since 1972 when we bought our first pet, and from 1979 when we finally produced our first purebred Basset litter, trying my best to produce sound healthy stock, improving as best I could with every successive generation, it just makes me weep (or get really angry!) when I see what's going on out there at the hands of the get-rich-quick BYB who doesn't care what they are doing, just as long as there is income. All I can say really.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts