Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll: Has anyone ever used a Holistic Vet before? AFter some research we are going to one tommorow for a consultation. Baxter is just getting so irritable and funny lately. Part of me thinks it is the prednisone he is on. Another part, the mommy intuition part, tells me he is not feeling good. I have been to our vet I can't tell you how many times, to the point that I feel like I have Munchausen's by Proxy, and it is to no avail. This last time, the vet told me I needed a behavorist. I don't think that is the issue. ANyway, I want to switch vets and I think I want to try a Holistic approach. The vet we are going to is a real DMV who practiced Western Meds for seventeen years but started integrating a holistic approach about 10 years ago. ANyway, just did'nt know if anyone has any experiance with this type of practice. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I just read the thread on Non-Medicalized bassets, and I am not trying to add to the debate I was just curious about other forms of help for Baxter. He is immunized and will always recieve the neccessary shots recommended from the vet. I am looking for some solutions to his constant itchiness, (getting off the prednisone), and a vet that will stop and actually listen. He gets very aggressive at the vets ( we have to muzzle) and it is very upsetting to him to go. The last time we went the vet did not even give him a exam. He looked at him ( never once even touched his body) took the urine that I collected, made me wait 45 minutes for a clean result and gave me a business card for a behavorist. He said the prednisone in small controlled every other day doses would not shorten his life span and that was it. I am frustrated and concerned for dog. I am not trying to stir up a debate about Holistic medicine, I am just trying to find a solution for my dog. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
662 Posts
As I'm not wanting to add fuel to the fire (as you mentioned, you saw the other post) I'm going to PM you. *smile*

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, with great results, but definitely as complementary to western medicine.

The vet that jacques went to for acupuncture does western med. as well.

Ernest is going away to see if acupuncture will also help his pano.

good luck, pm me if you want.

lala

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think the best thing you can do is get ask people you trust for recommendatioins. If you like your holisic vet it might be a good idea to also have a traditional one for back up. And bring your dog in healthy so the Dr. has an idea what the dog is really like. Hope you find our what is wrong.
Joan

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just wanted to say your approach sounds great. Holistic medicine as an alternative makes perfect sense if you are not getting results with traditional medicine. I also wanted to say SORRY , because in reading back over the threads regarding Non-Medicalized Bassets, I realize that I did raise the hot button when I used the "R" word. (Responsible) :oops: As a new member, I definitely don't want to cause any squelching of discussions that are beneficial to us all. Sorry if it came out wrong--I will pick my words more carefully. If my dog was not responding to traditional methods, and I thought holistic would help, I'd be exploring that as well. My strong feelings regarding the vaccinations are just associated with my love for children and animals, and my desire to put up all the defenses that I can on their behalf. I suppose if early medicinal measures were all that ineffective, mankind would never have made it this far. :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My veterinarian compliments her care with the judicous use of accupuncture, physical therapy, and occasional use of some Herbal products. But she recommends yearly vaccinations with exceptions on a case by case basis. Also she tihinks this change to 3 year vaccinations will down the road, end up biting us in the butt. My choice of words, not hers.

Again I'm not sure I know the precise meaning of "holistic veterinarian" but sounds to me jonloanranger that you just need a new veterinarian, one that you like and trust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE! :rolleyes: Well, we had our appointment and I must tell you it was by far one of the best we have ever had before! When we walked in Baxter was nervous but immediatly started to calm down. The receptionist looked at him and said "well, this must be Baxter, Hi Baxter.) And he was immediatly smitten with her. Before I knew it he was very curious and totally checked out the waiting room, which looked like a living room. The floors were carpeted and the seating was all couches and chairs. There were even throw pillows on the floor if the pets decided to sit on them. We were the only ones in the room and he just checked everything out. Once we got to the exam room, which again was carpeted, couches, dog water station and soothing music with little fountains, I filled out a personality sheet for Baxter (Not to mention the five other sheets of detailed info I had to fax the day before) and after a few minuted the Dr. came in and met us for the first time. She immediatley got on the ground with cookies and let him check her out. She must have spent at least 10 minutes with him before she even really started talking to me. This is the first time in his life that he was this relaxed at a vet visit. He even layed down on the ground! He is usually on my lap quivering and growling. She did the exam on the floor to make HIM feel more comfortable and this woman is no spring chicken! She was all about him, no rush, no hurry, very interested in everything about him and we only had to muzzle him once, after he growled. He had the muzzle on maybe a minute and then they took it off only to sing praises and give him more cookies! He was so relaxed. The entire approach in itself was worth the consultation. The appointment was about an hour and 15 minuted and after a detailed discussion about alternative medicine AND the use of western medicine I feel like we have made a good choice in exploring this different approach to his well being. All in all Baxter is a WOOD in Chinese medicine (does not like change at all, the need to be ALpha, basically a complete type A personality) and we have issues with his Spleen and Stomach, (ie: Western translation GI track ;) ) So we are slowly going to introduce a few herbs such as Bach Flowers, Allercleanse, Thula, and Hemotox. I am also going to be adding to his regular kibble (we currently use Natural Balance lamb & sweet potatoe) a homemade stew of chicken, white rice, peas, string beans, and sweet potatoes. He will think it is Christmas! ANyway, we have a check up in two weeks and we will just take baby steps. But, the most important thing was his level of anxiety, which was no where near as elevated as it normally is. Thank you for the replys!

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is great he was able to relax like that, holistic therapy is sometimes looked at as hooky but it does work I work in health care and I see how it helps, that is wonderful that you had such a good exprience.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Sounds like you have found a vet who you trust and can work with your Basset. That's wonderful! It's so important to have some one you can trust, and who you know has your doggie's best interest in mind. She sounds like a *big* improvement over the last vet.
Sharon Hall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts