Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we visited the Vet today (follow up from 3rd March) and the good news is that Harvey's eye's have responded very well to his medication (antibiotics to clear eye infection and fake tears) and his tear production has increased.

His operation for his face lift and eye lid surgery has been scheduled for April 16th. The face lift is the major part, the other good news is that the eyelid surgery is not going to be as extensive as she first thought. He will have to stay at the Vet's overnight, :( but we can collect him early the next day. :D

Thankfully, his blood test results have come back negative for Thyroid problems also :)
She said he is a strong healthy Basset with a good strong heart so that is a huge plus for the operation.

His eyes are a lot clearer, but he is to stay on his medication, but his antibiotics (to keep him healthy in preperation for the op) have been reduced to 2 a day for 3 days a week rather than every day. the eye drops have to be as before (3 diff types, 1 @ twice a day, 1 @ 3 times a day and the fake tears as often as possible). He is such a good boy when he has his drops and today at the Vet's he sat very still through all of his examinations.... he got a Cheeseburger on the way home ;) :rolleyes:

I am glad the vet is happy with him, but will be even happier when it's April 17th when he's back at home for some t.l.c

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi beverley anne

Harvey has had eye problems since we had him (cataract) plus dry eye. he has been on and off medication and he was having the pressure checked twice a year on both eyes, plus tear production.

We knew he would one day need an operation to remove the caratact. But part of his problem is that he's got a lot of loose skin so when he has nis nose to the floor it falls forward, as he's got older (he's nearly 8) it's got worse and he can't see very well when this happens, plus his eye lashes have started to rub his (good) eye and he has had an infection (hence the visit to the vets 2 wks ago and the eye drops, tablets etc he's on now).
Thankfully the tear production has increased and infection gone, but she is keeping him on his meds to play safe until the op when his meds will then change and gradually reduce.
The time has come now to get the skin removed and therefore tightened so when he does put his head down the skin won't push his eye-lids into his eyes. The eye lid surgery is to stop them curling under and again rubbing his eyes.

The vet doesn't want to operate at this time on his cataract as he still has some sight out of this (left) eye, so for now it is face lift and eye lid surgery. Maybe that is something we will face in the future :(

He is fine in himself, enjoys his walks, doesnt walk/bump into anything, eating well (but then he is a Basset... when do they not eat well ;) )
Unfortunately he had obviously been in some discomfort, and wasn't himself because of it, since his medication his behaviour is like a puppy... into everything. :rolleyes: .. I know which I'd prefer and am very pleased to have him back to his old mischevious self. :D

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I've never heard of this surgery, so I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Murray has dry eye, and has been on medication daily for that condition for a couple of years- the drops are cyclosporin, and they are expensive, about $50 for a tiny bottle that lasts about a month.

Good luck with the surgery!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Good luck with the surgery. A friend of mine had to have eye lid surgery for their...bull dog. His eye lids turned in?? :blink: If that makes sense...is that some of what's going on with your hound? As far as the bull dog his eye lid surgery went great and now it's like there wasn't ever a problem. Once again good luck and keep us posted.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Good luck with Harvey's surgery in April. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. I am glad that he is feeling better!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Heather,

Yes that is what is happening, glad to hear your friends dog is ok. Always reasurring to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts