1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

yawn!

ken is the front one!

Hi Everyone!

Ken is almost 2 years old. His sister is Avery, a beagle (in the pic above) and his brother is Mcdougal, a mini schnauzer.

I get bored at work so I go on dog forums all day. Lately Ken has been acting aggressively. We go camping almost every weekend and when our friends stop by our campsite he growls at them. He's even nipped at a few when they get too close! if you come at him too quickly, he draws back as if you're going to hit him. I don't get it. We got him as an 8 week old puppy and he's never been around anyone who would've hit him. He is neutered and has no hypothyroidism symptoms. I thought he was a well-adjusted dog (no reason for him to be fearful/shy, he comes everywhere with us and has been exposed to a lot of different situations from the time we got him) but this growling/barking at random people SUCKS!

Another thing, he doesn't do this at home (or somewhere where he can run free), only when on a leash (like when we're camping or at someone's house)

???? we've been bringing him camping the past 2 seasons and he just started this crap this year. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mikey, we took Ken out this weekend and he only growled once and didn't snap at anyone. I was surprised because he was around quite a few people (even some kids, i always get nervous when he's around kids but he mostly just ignores them) and dogs and he was behaving very nicely.

Even when our camping neighbor came over he didn't bother with her, usually he always growls at her, but this time he just sniffed her shoes and walked away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep in mind yuor nerviousness will be obvious to the dog as well and create nerviousness in him as well. That is why desensitizing and couunter-condition exercise in the references are inportant not just for the dog but you as well. As the dog becomes less reactive you will become less nervious wich in turn lower the arousal level in the dog so he won't be as reactive. Just as the problem develops like a snow man from a snow ball slow build on each encounter the solution works the same way. The solution is neither fast nor easy. it took time for the behavior to develope to where it is know it will take time to get it to where you want it to be.

Do not forget to reward all those non reactive encounter. It is one of the most overlooked asspect of training. Frogeting to reward the behavior we want. And then wonder why the dog forgets to do them .[/b]
it was weird because I wasn't nervous about him nipping the first time he did it.

Every time he's been good around people he gets tons of praise and belly rubs.

I'm still at a loss as to why he started doing it in the first place, it was just out of the blue one day when we were camping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.