Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am looking for a new harness for my hounds. What brand and type would you all recommend? My boy is about 65lbs and my girl is 40ish although she would tell you she weighs 30lbs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took them to both and their selections were weak here. I bought them a petco brand harness but the padding under their arms fell off and the hounds ate them.. Looking for something with attached padding so I dont have to worry about it falling off. Tommy absolutely hates the harness minus the padding. Been looking online but dont want to waste money on garbage.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a similar problem at the mo, I got Hec a ezydog harness but it rubs on his elbows, its a nightmare trying to get one just right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anabelle uses a "step-in" harness similar to this one: Petco Easy Step-In Blue Comfort Harness for Dogs at PETCO

Only problem is it sometimes slides around.
We have one of those for Flash, but I had a scare while he was wearing it. We were out walking, almost to a very busy intersection when he shook his body (you know, that full shake, kind of like when they get out of the tub lol) Anyway, the leash came OFF the harness! and he just kept walking. OMG I grabbed him and scared him in the process and we hooked him back up and went promptly home. But now I think I need a better leash or something. Not sure how both came unhooked :(

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
What is the purpose of the harness can not even begin to make a recomendation without a purpose. A restraint in the car or tied outside. Reduce pulling while walking etc there is no perefect harness that does all things well so you need to define the purpose before you can start look for the right one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hector had a step through one too but it always used to slide to one side, the best I have found so far is an anti-pull harness, even though he doesn't pull it's the best fitting I have found thus far, it's also nice and padded.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I tried quite a few...the one I use now is the mesh one with the slip knot. Bought it at walmart so is fairly cheap...it's a step in one...not hard to get on but somewhat difficult to get off. Haven't seen any rubbing or chaffing yet and he seems comfortable. He's not a puller though so this one works for us.....until the day I won't be able to remove it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Barneyspal.. we have the same one, cheap and cheerful and recommended by the ASPCA! Hen is a puller but not in that one and he doesnot object to wering it like he did the others

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
My person says she is envious of the parents of all the non-pulling bassets on this forum
Lets ands some zen type phylospphy that might help.

!. basset can not pull on a leash till there is someione on the other end

2. a basset not on leash never pulls.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My person says she is envious of the parents of all the non-pulling bassets on this forum.
--Worm

Your person shouldn't be jealous, infact I'm a little jealous I wish Hector pulled! He is more of a " I'm just going to park my bum here until the stupid person on the end of this lead realises that this is not the way I would like to go".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your person shouldn't be jealous, infact I'm a little jealous I wish Hector pulled! He is more of a " I'm just going to park my bum here until the stupid person on the end of this lead realises that this is not the way I would like to go".
This is Charlotte! She doesn't pull us anywhere she meanders slowly from one smell to another and will not be rushed under any circumstances :rolleyes:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Haha that sounds just like Anabelle too.

"Actually no I don't want to go that way. Thanks for the offer though."

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I read on a forum somewhere that instead of buying a no-pull harness, they just hooked the leash to the front chest ring on a regular harness. If they try to pull, they just end up turning to the side or around to face you.

I actually tried this with Boomer (using a longer leash, I recommend a 6 ft), and it worked for us, but the way his harness is made, it slipped around a lot so I need to tack it down in a couple of spots.

I know there is a harness that is made this way, hooking in the front chest area, but it was expensive and I wanted to try this first.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
[quote[I know there is a harness that is made this way, hooking in the front chest area, but it was expensive and I wanted to try this first. [/quote]

the problem with the special front hook harness is they are not secure. much less secure than a buckle collar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts