Basset Hounds Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
See that's the thing, bassets feet are heavily padded so that their nails don't wear down as some other breeds tend to. They need to have special attention paid to them because of this reason.

From the AKC Standard:
The paw is massive, very heavy with tough heavy pads, well rounded and with both feet inclined equally a trifle outward, balancing the width of the shoulders. Feet down at the pastern are a serious fault. The toes are neither pinched together nor splayed, with the weight of the forepart of the body borne evenly on each. The dewclaws may be removed.

They have these massive pads and feet in order to support their frame so if they tell you the nails will wear down on their own they are wrong. Yes it will wear down to a certain point but not to the point that they are really at a decent length... it takes regular trimming to keep them at a decent length. And yes I am guilty of it too from time to time as you can see in my profile picture... her nails are way too long, especially for her being a show girl. She's just a bear to keep up with them and those were probably about two weeks without cutting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have hardwood floors in my current house and I don't have no problem with noise from the hounds nails. The good thing with hardwood floors is.. I know exactly where Mattie is at all times, cause she gives her self away. And when it comes to Mattie that is a good thing. LOL!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
We have lineoleum and carpet in our home, and with the next, I am definitely pushing for NO carpet on the floors! Carpet is such a pain to upkeep...especially when Snickers gets sick and pukes/messes...cause guess where she goes...right to the darn carpet. Anyway, I love the sound of her going across the lineoleum, like many others, it helps me track down her whereabouts. As far as her nails, I either take her to the groomers, or have her Vet do it during an office visit. She has mostly dark nails, and I don't trust myself trimming them, for I fear I will trim too much.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.