Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
We have hardwood and laminate flooring. I do try to keep our bassets nails pretty short though but it is difficult with Roxie as her nails grow very long very fast and it takes me forever to get them back for a show weekend if I have let them go for a month. It takes me two weeks of grinding them every other day to get them back. Our rescue boy Beau though only needs to be done once a month and I can take his way back. So I know if I here it clicking my dogs nails are too long. If it gets annoying just remember to trim her nails more often. The dremel works great but does take a bit of getting used to. The doggie ones they sell are pretty useless for a bassets thick nails unless you want to sit all day doing it. I use a cordless dremel and it goes pretty quick... they have gotten used to it and while at one time they were complete bears to do their nails (or at least Beau was) now they are both little angels as they get a pedicure.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a cordless dremel as well, but have never tried it on the dog. What setting do you use it on? It goes from 1-10. I also assume you use the course sanding wheel?

I took Libby over to the house this morning and let her walk around on the floors. Its no where near as loud as the laminate flooring. Its more of a dull clack, and I think it'll be just fine.
I most likely have the same dremel you are referring too as my dremel has 10 speeds as well. I use it on 10 and use the large sand paper tube over the sanding drum. I use the rough sand paper as well. It goes very quick if you do it right but you also need to be careful as if they kick you can really gouge your fingers... believe me I did a doosy on myself many times before I got the hang of it but now the bassets are very good about it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
See that's the thing, bassets feet are heavily padded so that their nails don't wear down as some other breeds tend to. They need to have special attention paid to them because of this reason.

From the AKC Standard:
The paw is massive, very heavy with tough heavy pads, well rounded and with both feet inclined equally a trifle outward, balancing the width of the shoulders. Feet down at the pastern are a serious fault. The toes are neither pinched together nor splayed, with the weight of the forepart of the body borne evenly on each. The dewclaws may be removed.

They have these massive pads and feet in order to support their frame so if they tell you the nails will wear down on their own they are wrong. Yes it will wear down to a certain point but not to the point that they are really at a decent length... it takes regular trimming to keep them at a decent length. And yes I am guilty of it too from time to time as you can see in my profile picture... her nails are way too long, especially for her being a show girl. She's just a bear to keep up with them and those were probably about two weeks without cutting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.