Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to try to make a long story short Oliver slipped out yesterday evening. My husband was bringing things in from the garage and I guess didn't have the door shut the entire time. He was gone for about an hour as best we can guess before one of us said where is he. After 4 1/2 hours of searching, the neighbors looking, driving around and security(gated community in country kind of spread out) notified he was located. He found a house about half a mile away and knocked on the door. When the lady answered he went in. Now it would be funny except we were still looking they called the number on the tag and of course got the vet answering machine. That would have been okay just a sleepless night.
After a while they called security(I had notified them we were looking) and security stopped at the house where I was standing in the front yard praying. It was such a clear, quiet, full moon night he should have been easy to find. Just before that, hubby and I were putting cars away and heard his bark and hubby went one more time to find him, I had to stay with the two-legged. Drove by calling for him again and this time the lady heard him and asked if he was a Basset. Yeah :)

T

·
0 Posts
Oliver's excellent adventure. Maybe no quite so adventuresome for you. Glad you found him allright.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
"All I can say is he now has a tag on order with his name and our numbers and not just a vet tag. Today he has not moved off of his bed."

I have had tags get caught on things in the house possiblely creating a life threatening situation as the dog struggles to get free you may want to also consider one of the collars with the name and number embroidered right in.
Dog id collar

Personalized Adjustable Nylon Dog collar

and ofcourse there is the high tech GPS collar
Detail Information: GPS PRO Dog Collar/Backpack

A

·
0 Posts
I am so glad he is home safe! Until I got a new fence Sabian kept breaking out. The time I didn't think I was goning to find him, he was about 1 mile away at a daycare. I was so frantic!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had actually thought about the personalized collar and still might order it. We have a huge back yard totally fenced, I guess it was the allure of an open door. Hubby has learned the lesson the hard way.

On a happier note it is 5 years this month that we adopted Oliver from NTxBHRescue. He was approximately a year so we call him 6 and just are thankful someone answered his knock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How scary! I'm so glad Oliver is home safe and sound where he belongs!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oh, I am sooo happy that you found him. Gosh....
If Winston and Henrietta ever escape out, I know where to find them. They always go to my neighbour house...always!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep, Sunny never even trie to get out anymore, but Buckley always just runs down to the end of the cul de sac, knowing we will come with the car to give him a ride. :p

A

·
0 Posts
A idea about a dog collar. My neighbor did this to her dog. He is a big dog like a basset just longer legs. But she wrote his name in permant marker and phone number on it too. She got tired of the clanging noises tags make. And I think LLBeam stiches this info on their collars for a fee of course.

Glad to hear he is back on home safe and sound!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts