Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Father’s Day!

As you may or may not know, my wife and I have no two-legger children,
just four-legger furkids. I suppose that still makes me dad, because Minnie gave me a Father’s Day present!

Last evening I was just lazing around, just me and the dogs (Jeannie was over her sister’s). The tv was blessedly off and I was reading a decent book. The dogs had mostly stayed in during the heat of the day, so they were in and out all evening, I wasn’t paying that much attention.

Consequently, I never noticed Minnie bring something in the house and hide it in the couch. She stashes away rawhides and other treats all the time, particularly in the furniture. It’s very common to sit down and find any kind of chewy poking out from between cushions, under throw pillows, or hidden in a blanket.

At some point I fell asleep in my chair, which is not unusual when the house is quiet. Sooner or later Jeannie came home, woke me up and we all went off to bed.

I was the first one up this morning, and it’s a darn good thing I was! While my coffee was brewing, I decided to straighten up the living room. When I got to the couch, Minnie jumped up on it and was wagging her tail, happy as can be. That’s bit strange, as she usually leaves any room if someone’s cleaning it, even just straightening up like I was. Ah well, girlie-hound is being odd, what’s new?

I soon found out.

I move a throw pillow and there it was, my Father’s Day present from Minnie! Just what I always wanted, a dead chipmunk of my very own! And for extra enjoyment, a bloody pillow and blanket! Hoooraaaay!

The pillow is ruined, the blanket is in the washer as I write this, and Minnie is disappointed. :? I guess it’s tough when you work so hard to catch dad just the right present, and he triple-wraps it in plastic bags before throwing it in the outside trashcan.

Inter-species gift giving is just not as easy as it might seem.

Ah, well, “It’s the though that counts,” right? :lol:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm used to be around labs...and I can't count how many times they have brought dead birds or frogs home as a special catch. :roll:

I guess maybe she was hoping you would appreciate her finding dinner for you :lol: :lol:

Only a Basset...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could have been MUCH Worse! :shock:

A) It was intact,...(there's no "nice" way to put this :oops: )... Not ripped up or anything.
and
B) I found it, not Jeannie. If she had found it... :shock: I think the hysterics and drama would have gone on for days! :? She's a big chicken/drama queen when it comes to spiders, bugs, or wildlife in the house, alive or dead. For instance, her first reaction was to say we had to get rid of the whole couch! :shock: I actually had to convince her it's not fatally infested with Lyme disease-bearing ticks or a dose of bubonic plague. I still had to use the "Green Machine" furniture steam cleaner on the whole couch today.

Still, Minnie was very pleased with herself all day. I'm convinced she thinks she provided the family meal today!

·
Registered
109 Posts
ha ha ha

I have laughed more reading the posts today than any other day..... nice fathers day gift Gary got some kisses from eeyore thats about it

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Awww.....what a sweet present to bring you. It shows how much she loves her daddy.

And to think she even gift wrapped it in the couch for you!

Mine let hubby sleep an extra 10 minutes. Maybe next year they'll bring him a rabbit - no chipmunks in our yard.

Chris, slave to Elvis, Georgia, Ginger, Maggie & Crissy the alien

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So gross! Lightning loves to bring me dead things, but since he's no hunter he has to rely on things dying on their own within his reach. So it doesn't happen too often. And luckily he also knows the meaning of "OH MY GOD TAKE IT OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I do feel bad though, because he takes such pride in his finds.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Wow!!! Minnie is such a creative dog with her gift giving, and she didn't have to spend any money.

Aroooos from Bogie!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts