Basset Hounds Forum banner

Hair growing in eye?

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Soundtrack 
Oh, rats, I was hoping I could beat Betsy to answering this one...

I actually have a bitch with a dermoid in the eye, and she has several hairs in the dermoid - although "growing" would be a misnomer, as they have not lengthened, as far as I can tell, in her 11 years.

Her dermoid covers most of one eye. Surgery was not a good option for her because of the extent of her dermoid. The veterinary opthamologist we consulted felt that she could not offer a great hope of improved function in the eye, and that indeed since her dermoid doesn't seem to irritate the eye, that the risk of scar tissue being more uncomfortable was not worth taking....

And yes, over the years, she's had a lot of "ewww" reactions, especially from kids...

The dermoid did, I would note, grow somewhat over the course of her life. Apparently, as a little pup, it covered a smaller part of the eye. By the time we got her at a year, it covered about a third of the eye. Now I would say it's more like half....

So perhaps investigating earlier, rather than later, surgery might be warranted.

Sylvie McGee
Olympia WA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.