Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 4yr old basset we got from rescue is always grumpy in a morning, I don't know if it is something from her past we don't know about, or is it that some bassets are just grumpy in a morning. Once she has come round she is fine, but does seem to be an afternoon dog

·
Registered
275 Posts
Lucy liked to sleep until noon! Mostly b/c she was always pesting to go out several times during night b/c night time is rabbit time!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Our girl crossed the rainbow bridge almost a year ago at the age of 12. She was very sick and we had to let her go, set her free to the rabbit hunting grounds in the sky!

We are basset-less at the moment and the yard is full of rabbits since there is no hound to run them off!

That's OK, when we finally find a match with another basset, our yard will be a rabbit haven; unfortunately, that will mean night-time sleep interuptions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Also, the other reason we thought Lucy was grumpy in the morning was b/c she did not like being alone and knew that in the morning we were up getting ready for work. It seemed as though she thought if she didn't get up to go out for her morning potty time, we wouldn't leave for work. The only way we could get her up to go out before we left for work was to give her a piece of cheese!

ON weekends when we didn't go to work, she'd get up on her own, didn't need a piece of cheese to get her up on Sat. or Sun. bu she'd look at us like, "oh man, you stayed home today" and go back to bed and sleep til noon. Sometimes we'd just snuggle together for an extra hour or so!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mattie is a afternoon hound also.. She doesn't function until around 12. I get up and go about my morning and Mattie either stays in bed or moves to the couch to sleep.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My Boomer isn't a morning puppy, so he fits in well with our family. I take him out in the morning, he comes back in and gets a drink, eats a few kibbles, barks at the cats, then goes back to bed. He sometimes stays up for a little while to play, but most of the time sleeps in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts