Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever noticed the older Hounds get, the grumpier they get; especially in the morning?

My Hound Roscoe needs about 5 minutes or so to get out of his grumpy attitude.

Cheers

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dixie is 8 years old (new rescue in February) She huffs and grumps around even if SHE wakes ME up! She wants her breakfast and that is ALL. We call her Ms. Grumpus. She stands by her bowl and stares ...or lays down in front of it and stares straight ahead, until it's filled. She comes around after she eats. She becomes very sweet and quiet and almost ready for the morning nap.

The other one who's 4 years old ...Belvedere! ...is out at the crack of dawn, surveying the grounds. Checking for intruders. He bounds through
the doggie door, full of beans ...full of happy energy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
YES!! Scully (8-y-o) has also earned herself the nickname of "Grumpus" and "Grumpy Ole Hag"....LOL. She grunts and complains like she's got such a rough life.....YEAH, RIGHT!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
OH, George is horribly grumpy till he's had his coffee of a morning.

I'm KIDDING. :lol:

Actually, as soon as someone stirs, he's all wagging tail and bright eyes and ready for a snack. But then, he's ALWAYS ready for a snack. LOL When HE'S grumpy is at night when he's decided it's bed time and we're still up and keeping him awake. "Get OFF my bed (the couch) and turn off the lights and go to bed, so *I* can go to bed!" He also tends to be grumpy when it rains (he won't go outside in rain and believes we could turn it off and make the sun shine if we only WOULD) and when we've had to leave him with a George-sitter for a couple of days a few times when we've gone out of town. We're not allowed to have lives, you know.

M

·
0 Posts
Maggie Mae (ATB) did get grumpier as she aged. She ruled the house and that was the way she wanted it!!! We were definitely her slaves! She also loved the sound of her voice. If you have a Basset that is very vocal they do tend to get louder as the age also!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by Maggie's Mommy
... She also loved the sound of her voice.
That is exactly what we always say about Scully! Thankfully, my hubby and I also love the sound(s) of her voice..... not too sure about the neighbors though .....

·
Registered
415 Posts
Our Noonie who is nine has gotten grumpy too as he's aged. Typically it's when his nap has been disturbed. We always say "look out Noonie's grumpin' again."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I'm not the only one experiencing this. :) Actually it's a bit comical when Roscoe turns into The Grinch.

Cheers

·
Registered
608 Posts
My Toby has been like that almost since I got him, if as you say it gets worse as they get older, then I think I'll be hitting the booze on a regular basis by the time he's that age.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Opus is ten and definitely getting grumpier, he hates to be disturbed when he is asleep and it takes him a good half an hour in the morning to wake up properly. And then he does 'crumpled pup' until breakfast, lots of sighing and flopping down. But amazingly he now just lies there when I cut his nails and he doesn't mind ear cleaning half as much as he did when he was younger, so maybe that is the trade off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts