Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, tonight we were out giving Harriet her long walk, and up runs a neighborhood dog that they let out off a leash. Harriet has had many encounters with this dog, so we didn't pick her up (which is harder all of the time) and there was nowhere to go to change course. After the dog got close, and greeted Harriet, we noticed that she had red irritated skin. Now I'm concerned. I didn't see any sores, but the dog is crazy hyper and was moving fast. What would I look for as signs of mange? These are people with children an multiple pets, and while I want to think that they would never let something like that go untreated, or let her outside with it, the fact that they let her run tells me that they may not be as responsible as I want them to be.

So, how would I know if she had mange or something else? Obviously we'll be trying to avoid the dog from now on, but I'm sure they touched noses tonight. Is there anything I can do to prevent it at this point? I wiped her down with baby wipes when we got home, and both my husband and I washed our hands thoroughly. At the time bathing her seemed like overkill, but now that I've had time to worry about it, I wonder if I should have.

Also, we seem to have moved into this alternate universe where dogs simply roam free. I've considered reporting them to animal control, but we see them every day, and I'm convinced they would know it was us, and I guess I'm a wimp. Has anyone successfully dealt with this?

P.S. If anyone remembers, she's finished her 3rd round of antibiotics for the UTI, and so far no recurrance of symptoms, we've got our fingers crossed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I get incredibly annoyed when people let their dogs run free. My neighbors across the street do this with an unaltered male pit bull. Lately they have stopped, and while I don't know the reason why I have to suspect someone reported them. My next door neighbors on both sides have small/infant children that play in the front yard and a loose dog (especially an unaltered male of a stigmatized breed) is absolutely irresponsible of the owners.

This dog drove us crazy too even though we don't have kids because he would come right up to our windows and make our dogs go nuts.

Growing up my family did have a dog that we'd let out without a leash but he had clear boundaries and wasn't allowed to leave our yard without a leash, and he was always supervised.

Honestly if it were me I would report the owners of the dog. Realistically the punishments are usually very small, at worst a fine. If a dog has a disease it needs to be supervised. Do you rent or own? I rent, so I am generally not concerned about what my neighbors think since I'm not stuck with them. I can see how it'd be a more difficult decision if you own though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts