Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could point me to a growth chart for male basset hounds. Charlie is 8 weeks old now and will see the vet for his 2nd vet visit (first with us) scheduled for next week. I want to make sure he's progressing as he should be in weight. I've read that this breed is prone to becoming overweight.

And second, we want to make sure we get him neutered, is there an appropriate age for this?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I don't think excessive weight gain is a problem for puppies--it tends to be more of a problem for adults.

Six months, give or take, is what many vets recommend as a good age for neutering, although it can be done any time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rather than start a new thread, I did a bump for this one. I also am curious about the weight part of the original question. It seems as though both of my dogs especially Cletus, are thin. Rosco is about 7.5 months old and weighs about 37lbs and Cletus is about 11.5 months old and weighs about 46lbs. They both look skinny, but are fed appropriately. They both are exremely picky when it comes to dog food, but will eat just about anything made for us humans. Does anyone know about what they will max out at or if they are on track? Like I said, Cleutus looks kinda skinny for his size. Can anyone break it down for a chart? Maybe i'm just paranoid :). Thanks all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts