Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a scenario involving my two basset puppies that I would like some opinions on. I will preface the conversation by saying we have engaged a trainer who will provide professional advice but I also wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone has come across this issue.

We have two basset puppies, one 6 month male and a 5 month male. They are both in day care when I am at work. The 5 month old plays very aggressive with the 6 month old, he gets on top of the 6 month old. The 6 month is very passive and does not correct the 5 month old when the play becomes too rough. I have confirmed the 5 month old does not play this way with other dogs. The daycare staff needs to break up the play about two times per day by separating the dogs. When they pick up the 5 month old he lets out a low growl as he is looking at the 6 month. The day care staff holds the 5 month old until he stops growling but it gets to the point where they have to take him in another room so he cannot see the 6 month old for him to stop. I have confirmed they pick up the 5 month old multiple times during the day and he does not growl at them. It appears to only occur when they pick him up to remove the two puppies from each other when the play becomes too rough.

This started about 1 week ago. The only change that has been made is the 6 month old was neutered 2 weeks ago. The 5 month old is not neutered yet and is scheduled in two weeks. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

The daycare staff is going to try to take a video today showing what happens so I will try to upload if I get that today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Well for starters, it's such a shame that you went for castration at under at least 1 year. I don't know why vets do this (other than for greed/income) because it's far better to let the growth plates close and to give it time for you to decide whether castration is absolutely necessary which nine times out of ten, isn't not.. The only time I'd have castration done would be for medical need. I do spay however, but only when my girls were retired from breeding/showing so they weren't needing to be confined twice a year, for 3 weeks.

Secondly the 5 month old being picked up immediately puts him at a disadvantage, which he knows and knows the slightly older puppy will know too.

The next no-no was to have two hounds of almost the same age. We had our first, a male and waited until he was almost a year before we bought our second, another male. We very rarely had any spats between them and neither was castrated.

If this only started a week ago and after the older puppy was castrated. The younger one knows the older one is a recovering patient, and is taking advantage. Bassets are a mild breed and although when around a b itch in season this might happen, fighting should be rare. There is a school of thought that suggests, within reason, you let them work out who is top dog - but not if one is just getting through surgery. I suggest the daycare staff might keep them separated when not under direct supervision to give the neutered dog time to recover, at least.

Just for starters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frank’s Mum! I appreciate you sharing your experience and wisdom with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
The next no-no was to have two hounds of almost the same age.
especial the same sex. while it occurs more with litter mates because they have even more history it is not unprecedented with non-littermate of nearly the same age see Littermate Syndrome in Dogs | Off Leash K9 Training | Problems with Littermates

Intact males of nearly the same age. living in the same household can easily become an issue especial if there are intact females as well. we do not let out boys interact with each other unless well supervised and in conjunction with another activity like hunting,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts