Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what other people do in terms of grooming their dogs. Every couple of months I give Bogie a bath and I trim his nails regularly. I have never taken him to a groomer or anything to get hair trimmed. He seems to have a lot of fur growing from between his toes, on a small section of his underbelly, and at the back of his legs/butt area. I don't think I'd trust myself to cut his hair, since I know how much he wiggles. I wouldn't dare use an electric hair trimmer on him, because he seems to be deathly afraid of every electrical device unless its a microwave with food in it (particularly hair dryers and vacuums). Is this something that should be getting trimmed?

And for good measure, here's a pic of my pretty boy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
I take my Basset's to be bathed every 8-10 weeks. The lady baths them, cuts their nails and cleans their ears. I groom them once a week, although at the moment it is daily due to extreme shedding :rolleyes:

ps/ great picture, he's a lovely colour...obviously a very stressed Basset (NOT!) :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I see someone buzzs Bogie's hair between his pads. I use a regular electric buzzer and do my kids paws (all 4) to buzz the hair between the pads. Keeps their paws cleaner and my floors! Also, I clean their ears and scale their teeth weekly if needed. I brush their teeth everynight before bed. I bathe them about every 8 weeks. The breeder started this from when they were young pups so they don't know any different ;) Lucky for me :lol:

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I see someone buzzs Bogie's hair between his pads. I use a regular electric buzzer and do my kids paws (all 4) to buzz the hair between the pads.[/b]
I use scissors on the hair between the toes during agility trial season only to improve traction on contact obstacles. IMHO the hair increses traction in snow and ice season so to remains.

·
Registered
773 Posts
When not showing, I go over the dogs once a week, grinding their nails, cleaning ears, brushing teeth. I use a waterless shampoo if they get stinky because I don't like to bathe when temps. are below or slightly above freezing.

I do trim excess hair for the show ring, neatening pantaloons and trimming the pads of their feet. Eloise has a monster cowlick right in the middle of her neck, so I try to keep that trimmed. She has such a lovely arch, but all that hair sticking up at odd angles interferes. If I'm not showing, which I haven't since January, they go 'natural'. I leave the fuzzies on their paws for both traction and warmth and let the little whirlies have their way. My next show isn't until mid-April, so we're all enjoying this break!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I usually give Yogi a bath every six to eight weeks in the summer months and not at all in the winter unless he is having a skin problem and I need to use his special shampoo. I don't trim the hair on his feet, it isn't very long and I like the way they look. I also clean his ears weekly and brush him several times a week, more when he is shedding.
Bogie is adorable!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts