Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we are first time Basset owners here and Jenny is a real treat to the family. I will send pictures soon. The one question I cannont get answered is about her groaning. She moans and groans as though everything she does awake or asleep is so taxing on her - even scrathing her own ears. Its as though lifting her foot to scratch there takes effort she would rather not use. Don't get me wrong here - she doesn't sound in pain - more like she's 50 years old and weighs ten times her size. Problem is she is only 10-12 weeks old and weighs less than 20 lbs lol. I just want to make sure this is common to the breed or personality. Thanks for listening and reading.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Welcome to the board

Groaning, huffing and puffing, talking and barking is all very normal! mine is more of a groaner and a huffer!!

if she is groaning when scratching her ears then i think she probably needs them cleaned. Have you got some wipes or drops to use for ear waxes? does she scratch her ears on the floor too and moan about that too - if so she definately needs her ears cleaned.

hope this helps

Clare

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have 2 boys - Snoopy - the hound with 99 novelty noises, and Silent Henry.

Snoopy has a noise for every occasion, there are moans, groans, whines, whimpers, barks, aroos..... He's 2 years old and sounds like an old man. We have the noise that suggests his ears need cleaning, and we have the noise tells us he didn't mean it, his ears are fine........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the board

Groaning, huffing and puffing, talking and barking is all very normal! mine is more of a groaner and a huffer!!

if she is groaning when scratching her ears then i think she probably needs them cleaned. Have you got some wipes or drops to use for ear waxes? does she scratch her ears on the floor too and moan about that too - if so she definately needs her ears cleaned.

hope this helps

Clare[/b]
Yes it does help. I do need to check her ears again and make sure whether or not they need cleaned. I was just wondering about the groaning and moaning in general whether or not it was normal. But I appreciate the ear tips and I will be doing that as well.

I have read a lot about the breed and really think we are lucky to have her. She was bitten by another pup or another dog and one ear is shorter than the other. The breeder said if we liked her we could have her for free. I knew when I saw her she belonged to my family of misfits lol. She has yet to prove me wrong.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Daisy is the most "talkative" dog we've ever had. She moans and groans if you look at her. I think she just likes to make herself heard. She doesn't say much about her ears, but following the advice of everyone here I've been cleaning her ears on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daisy is the most "talkative" dog we've ever had. She moans and groans if you look at her. I think she just likes to make herself heard. She doesn't say much about her ears, but following the advice of everyone here I've been cleaning her ears on a regular basis.[/b]
LOL On another note does anyone know the difference between the American Canine Association and the American Kennel Association? I got papers to send in for the American Canine Association for Jenney. It gives names of both parents.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My 2 are very different. Lily is almost constantly vocal whether it is moans, groans, whimpers, etc. Gibbs on the other hand only makes his voice heard at very important times like when there is a cat who doesn't belong in the backyard.

~Heather

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for everyone that has posted. I have not had such a vocal dog before. I wasn't necessarily alarmed just wondered if it was a characteristic of the breed - one of many. It is nice to know that it is just part of her charming personality. She is already a character. She is only about 2 months old and groans as if she were 22. She is still a pup and we are working on other things besides not annoying the cat to death. Fortunately the cat moves more swiftly than she does most times. :lol:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
does anyone know the difference between the American Canine Association and the American Kennel Association?[/b]
The American Kennel Association is a registry for purebred dogs. From AKC's Mission Statement
The American Kennel Club is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its Registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Founded in 1884, the AKC® and its affiliated organizations advocate for the purebred dog as a family companion, advance canine health and well-being, work to protect the rights of all dog owners and promote responsible dog ownership.

AKC 's Objective:

• Advance the study, breeding, exhibiting, running and maintenance of purebred dogs.

AKC's Core Values:
We love purebred dogs
We are committed to advancing the sport of the purebred dog
We are dedicated to maintaining the integrity of our Registry
We protect the health and well-being of all dogs
We cherish dogs as companions
We are committed to the interests of dog owners
We uphold high standards for the administration and operation of the AKC
We recognize the critical importance of our clubs and volunteers[/b]
Here is the American Canine Association's website. I can't find a mission statement and I can't call up the FAQ's. Several other links also appear broken or under construction. In looking over the upcoming events, it appears that ACA plans to attend meetings of puppymillers and dog auctions.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If you're sure there's nothing wrong, she's probably just a vocal girl.

Moe is a moaner and a groaner. He uses moaning/groaning to get attention, to voice his opinion, to signal dinner time or snack time, to let someone know they're in 'his spot' on the couch, to tell me Tally (Dachshund) has stolen his cookie, and even to let me know when something is physically wrong (like his ears). If moaning is ignored the next step is barking. If barking is ignored (rare but possible) the next step is whining. If whining gets ignored he combines whining with nudging the leg of the person he's trying to get attention from (usually me :lol: ). I find Bassets to be VERY vocal and inventive dogs who refuse to be ignored and usually like to have the last word. ;) Our Dachshund is a much quieter dog, except when someone knocks at the door... then she explodes in a fit of high-pitched, very loud and continuous barking. <_< She's our early warning system for un-expected visitors and delivery people (small, yappy, devil-dog). :blink: For fun, my son likes to rap on the wall to set her yapping... <_<

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, we are first time Basset owners here and Jenny is a real treat to the family. I will send pictures soon. The one question I cannont get answered is about her groaning. She moans and groans as though everything she does awake or asleep is so taxing on her - even scrathing her own ears. Its as though lifting her foot to scratch there takes effort she would rather not use. Don't get me wrong here - she doesn't sound in pain - more like she's 50 years old and weighs ten times her size. Problem is she is only 10-12 weeks old and weighs less than 20 lbs lol. I just want to make sure this is common to the breed or personality. Thanks for listening and reading.[/b]

Hello. I have a 12 week old Basset named Bessie. She grunts and groans all the time. We have already had to deal with an ear infection and after going to the vet and getting some drops it has cleared up really quickly. I have been cleaning her ears once a week and she's been doing great. The groaning I figured came with being a Basset...and after reading everyone's replies it seems to be a normal thing and I love every bit of it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you're sure there's nothing wrong, she's probably just a vocal girl.

Moe is a moaner and a groaner. He uses moaning/groaning to get attention, to voice his opinion, to signal dinner time or snack time, to let someone know they're in 'his spot' on the couch, to tell me Tally (Dachshund) has stolen his cookie, and even to let me know when something is physically wrong (like his ears). If moaning is ignored the next step is barking. If barking is ignored (rare but possible) the next step is whining. If whining gets ignored he combines whining with nudging the leg of the person he's trying to get attention from (usually me :lol: ). I find Bassets to be VERY vocal and inventive dogs who refuse to be ignored and usually like to have the last word. ;) Our Dachshund is a much quieter dog, except when someone knocks at the door... then she explodes in a fit of high-pitched, very loud and continuous barking. <_< She's our early warning system for un-expected visitors and delivery people (small, yappy, devil-dog). :blink: For fun, my son likes to rap on the wall to set her yapping... <_<[/b]
Terry, you have just described the two in my household to a tea. Have you been peeking in the windows?

The only difference is our "dachshund" is a chihuahua but same early warning system for even my husband who works evenings and comes home when I am already in bed, so sets off her fit of high-pitched, very loud and continuous barking right in my ear because she sleeps curled up on my chest, thus causing a near heart attack every night when Michael tries to quietly come in the front door. Poor old Wilson used to get excited and go running to the door with her, but now barely opens his eyes. He knows its just dad and wonders what the heck there is to get so excited about. It is mom that doles out the treats and she is trying to sleep, so why bother getting up. He just looks at her and you can see him shaking his head and thinking "Boy that pup has a lot to learn."

At least after 6 months with us our (small, yappy, devil-dog) has stopped nipping Michael when he comes in the door. At least with Basset Hounds, they are wonderful with all family members, my dopey chihuahua only likes me so the care is 100 times worse and 100% from me.

Susan and Wilson

1 - 16 of 16 Posts