Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, All. Much to my pleasure and surprise, rascally Basset puppy Daisy was my birthday present 4 weeks ago. I have been owned by 2 Bassets and a Basset/Beagle mix in the past, so I am well-versed in the pleasure and occasional frustration of living with these furry love-buckets.

I had designs on a rescue, but our local organizations felt we did not qualify due to no veterinary records and we have a pool. My husband was really sad about that until he happened to see Daisy at a pet store. We know that's not ideal, but someone needed to love and care for her and we just happened to be well equipped with the time, $, space, love in our hearts and ample cuddling spots. With that said, Daisy would like to say "hi".

Hi, everyone! I'm Daisy, a 13-wk old Basset puppy. I am mostly red and white but I might be tri-colored one day since there is a little black on the ends of my ears. So far, life is good, though I have had a few "ruff" patches. I came home with an icky case of Giardia which made me extra sick and bought me some time at the pet hospital on an IV. I also had some pesky ear mites which made my ears and eyes gunky. Daddy cleans my ears and puts in drops every day so I am almost as good as new. Since I am feeling better now, I have been spending some time frolicking and wreaking general havoc. Here are some of my favorite and not-so favorite things:

Like:
Chewing - especially shoes, pants, antique furniture and fingers - but also chew toys if that's all you've got
People and dogs - every single one I meet even if they don't like me
Dirt/mud/anything stinky. I love to roll around and get dirty
Cuddling on a pillow or blanket or your lap
Roo-Rooing (is that a bark or half a howl? Not sure yet)

Dislike:
my collar - so itchy!
the rain... you want me to do what? go potty in the rain?
squirrels

Mom says now that I have a clean bill of health I will be going to training classes starting this week. She wants me to be the most polite Basset in town. We will let you know how this goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hi Daisy and Parent :)

Annie and I live in Orange County as well and Annie doesn't much care for all this rain either. Makes for some soggy walks, that's for sure.

We also went to puppy kindergarten many years ago...lol. The first few visits were ok, lots of cute puppies, but when we got pulled to the inside of the "training circle" so we could demonstrate what NOT to do I made the executive decision not to return to those classes. And surprisingly, we've done just fine. Maybe she's not the politest dog on the block, but darn-it, she sure is the cutest!

Anyways, welcome and perhaps we'll see you around.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
What a beautiful little girl!! Good luck in puppy class...hope it goes well for you both. I had a similar experience as Annie714 when I took Molly to puppy class. She does what she wants when she's darn well ready, and not before. While I understand that, her trainer did not and Molly was also the "what not to do" of the class. Nonetheless, at almost 6 months, she is the sweetest little girl, albeit quite stubborn. I love her for it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Daisy is so cute! I was going to take Nitro to puppy kindergarten but then all of a sudden he decided to start listening to me. Could be that one day while we were at the pet store the trainer came over and told him to behave or mom would leave him there. I don't know, but Nitro has been a very good little (40 pound) boy ever since!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all of the warm welcomes.

We have been having plenty of fun with Daisy this week and she has become acquainted with the flavor of nearly every piece of furniture in the house.

She has lots of chew toys but she really prefers shoes and furniture.

We have been reading the forums together - such fun! She likes to try to type and enjoys pictures of other dogs. Often the screen gets a lick or a friendly "roo roo" of approval.

After reading about "hound smell", I sniffed her paws and they *do* smell just like Fritos. Is this something to worry about, or just a funny quirk?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts