Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'd like to know why my Bassett Hound suddenly snaps and attacks my two Dachshunds, or myself. He can get be very aggressive. He just gave my one Dachshund the first actual bite wound. My little dogs are terrified of him, and traumatized. He will all of a sudden corner them, and attack. Help.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Without actual seeing what is goung on no one is going to be able to give any useful advice

when there is two v one often what is happening is misinterpreded and keep in mind it always takes two dogs to fight.

He Just Wants to Say Agression or appropriate response to rudeness?
"When I spoke with the new owner, I asked what was going on. Her response was sadly classic: "Well, Champ is quite aggressive. For example, he'll just be laying on the dog bed and my two Goldens come over to say ‘hi' and then he just attacks them. It's awful!"

My first tip off that the Greyhound was totally blameless was her comment that the Goldens were just coming over to say "hi." Generally speaking, dogs who live together don't walk over to each other to repeatedly say hello, no more than every time you walk in a room you walk over to a family member and say hello by getting right into their face.

Further questioning revealed that the body posture of the two Goldens while saying "hi" was very upright, ears forward, tails up and wagging very slowly - a confrontational stance, not a greeting. The Greyhound would often initially turn his head away, but when the two Goldens began sniffing at him and poking him, he would growl softly. Then, as they persisted, the hound would finally leap up with a roar. Despite her hysterical descriptions of the "fights," I was able to get her to define the amount of damage done by the Greyhound - none.

As we talked on, the picture came in more clearly: the two Goldens were quite spoiled, pushy with other dogs, and decidedly not happy with this new dog in their household. The woman cheerfully admitted that the two Goldens were not too well trained and that she sometimes had trouble controlling them around other animals, but "they were so sweet, and there isn't an aggressive bone in their bodies!" she told me."

access to expanded version

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
resource guarding is the most common source of aggression that I have seen in Basset Hounds. Keep in mind resource guarding is normal adaptive behavior in dogs. A dog able to control resources is more likely to succede. Just because it is normal does not make it acceptable,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy, I might want to know why my Bassett Dog unexpectedly snaps and goes after my two Dachshunds, or myself. He can get be extremely forceful. He just gave my one Dachshund the primary real chomp wound. My little canines are scared of him, and damaged. He will out of nowhere corner them, and assault. Help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts