Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

Lollypop was at my un-laws house this afternoon and apparently ingested roughly "10" grapes. My brother in law took her to his vet where (within 1 hour of ingestion) they induced vomiting, gave her charcoal to absorb toxins and put her on an IV fluid regime. I am waiting to hear from my vet to get a second opinion about her condition and whether or not we should take her to the Tufts Cummings Veteranary School where she can get constant fluids for 48 hours. Toxicology results have not come back as there is no lab on site where she is now. We are already in for between 500 and 600 dollars just for today and potentially triple that cost should we take her to Tufts. I think she would be fine and that ten grapes is not enough to cause kidney damage, but I am in no way vet. Would anyone out there know whether we are being too paranoid and over protective? Cost is NOT an issue. I would do anything for Lollypop, but I want to know whether we are being alarmist here. Any advice? BTW it is torture waiting here for my vet to call back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
I am not a Vet either but if she is eating and drinking normally and she is active I'm not sure I would have done anything but watch her.I guess if ten grapes were to cause a problem I wouldn't know till it was too late.On the other hand before whoever evaluated this grape problem we gave our dogs grapes anytime we were eating them not many maybe six or eight and they never caused a problem. Possibly some dogs are more sensitive than others and if it were a toy breed that could be a problem.If it were me I would take her home and just be alert to anything unusual,but that is just me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
792 Posts
I’d be interested to hear what you find here – before I knew that grapes were on the Toxic list for dogs – Flash use to eat them all the time and never got sick. I almost fell out of my chair when I read they should never eat them.

I feel your pain waiting for the phone to ring – every minute is like an hour. Hopefully they’ll call soon and everything will be fine.

Jen~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
Oh lollypop don't eat those tasty grapes. Here's hoping you get to feeling better & get to come home for some safe treats & ear scratches real soon! I'm waiting on the vet too right now. Vets near & far hurry up pleeeeease!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,780 Posts
My wienie dog ate lots and lots of grapes without issues. I had him awhile back before we knew grapes could be toxic. my understanding is that the bad reactions are very, very rare, but when they are, they can be serious and have caused death. so, that means that Lollypop is most likely ok statistics-wise.

but good that you took her in for inducing vomiting. they did the same for Worm couple months ago when he ate 4 granola bars with raisins in them. what they said was to watch him the next few days and if there is anything concerning to bring him back. What they also said when we first got there, is that if they were unable to induce vomiting (ie. get the raisins back out), they would check a baseline kidney function test (creatinine level) and then would have us come back tomorrow to check another one, to make sure there wasn't evidence of kidney damage.

so i guess the first question is, do they think they got the grapes out?
if they did, i would just check a creatinine level today, and then one tomorrow, and if ok, Lollypop is probably ok. i wouldn't think she would need a higher level of care at this point. of course, you'd also watch her this week, to make sure she is eating, drinking, and acting normally.

they aren't sure how grapes & raisins result in kidney damage, may even be pesticides or fungus growing on them or some other microbe that is causing the damage, not necessarily something about the grapes/raisins themselves...

good luck, and please keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I had no idea that grapes were toxic to dogs. :confused:We have a pergola covered with grape vines that provide shade to the patio beneath and Leonard stuffed himself with grapes that had fallen and even stood up and grazed on the low hanging clusters. He didn't seem to have any problems at all. Now the peach tree we had was different matter. We had it removed when he started eating all the green peaches that had fallen. I was afraid that he would require additional surgery and after his rock-eating episode; which was extremely costly, we erred on side of prudence and had it removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,947 Posts
The problem with grapes is there is not established toxic level as currently it appears that toxcity is rated to the individual dog some dogs are sensitive other not so much.
Personally if one of mine ate 10 grapes i would not be worried about it because the have consumed more than that amount in the past before potential grape toxicity was known also most of the reports of death and sever reaction is to raisins and not grapes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lollypop and her grapes

Thanks everyone for your advice and well wishes as always! Good news is the kidney tox screen completed literally one hour ago showed normal kidney function which is an early encouraging sign. Second, our vet, to whom we eventually got her to, was less worried about her ingestion due to the fact she ate roughly 10 to 12 grapes, not enough necessarily to cause kidney damage in a 45 pound hound. So, the long and short of it is that we have her home now and she is gnawing on a marrow bone! We are going back in Saturday for a follow up tox check and if her kidney vitals look like they did today, she is good to go! All very encouraging. Problem with kidney function is it won't generally rear it's ugly head from between 1 to 3 days, so while the initial screen looked good, we are not out of the woods completely, but we are very encouraged nonetheless. I'll post Saturday after her next screening to keep everyone apprised of the situation so we can all learn from it!

Drool and slobber from Lollypop to all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lollypop

Lollypop had a second tox scan and all is well! No problem at all with her kidney and we are thrilled and relieved. Probably didn't have to do a thing and she would have been fine and I'd be $600 richer, but hey, I'm all the richer for her health and well being. Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Love and drool,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,780 Posts
Lollypop-- Your Dad isn't overreacting at all, as it's really hard to tell when dogs may be affected and when they won't. Good thing you had it checked out. Just a couple months ago in April, murraysmom posted this:

My friend Joan's 8 year old Pug Sparky somehow got ahold of a box of raisins last Thursday and ate most of the box- the vet has been trying to save him, but yesterday Sparky took a turn for the worst and was put down due to Kidney failure. Joan is devastated and blaming herself. Just a reminder to be carefull with what your dogs can reach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
it really does happen, unfortunately, which is why there is a warning about them. some only ingested 6-7 grapes, and that was enough to have kidney damage/failure.

glad you are ok, Lollypop!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Glad little Lollypop ( love that name BTW) is fine. This thread has been a good reminder to me and I'm sure informative to others about the dangers of certain foods to dogs.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top