Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chucky thinks Gracie's ears aren't long enough. I was looking @ pics of other basset pups....they do look much longer. She's pure though....any insight as to why her ears don't appear too long, or are we crazy?

·
Registered
289 Posts
It has to do with the breeding. The definition of the breed has long ears, but many bassets have shorter ones like yours.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gracie's ears are quite short. Usually they are so long they trip over them all the time - hillarious.

One good thought is that they wont get too wet wen taking a drink or dipping them into her dinner! having a freezing cold wet ear against your ankle in the winter can give you a bit of a shock :eek: :p

She is very cute.

·
Registered
219 Posts
From my experience with Jackie and others on this board, I have learned that most breeders fall into one of two "types" of bassets. The breeders either breed the stocky, heavy boned, and very long eared bassets or they breed a lighter more beaglish basset. Jackie is more of a beagle basset, she does have pretty long ears but her weight and bone structure is not nearly as heavy as some of the bassets on this forum. Both types are still bassets.

With that being said...my personal opinion is that the heavier boned bassets are more true to the breed standard. However, being in the South, I have noticed that the beagle basset breeders out number the heavy basset breeders by at least twenty to one. When I got Jackie, I did not really know much of a difference but in the future, I will either purchase a puppy from a respectable breeder or I will get a rescue.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
While she doesn't appear as "basset-y" as one might like, that doesn't prevent her from being a wonderful pet. :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The ears are supposed to be long enough to meet
at her snout, at least as grown up.

You'll see pics of a lot different bassets here, from
petshop quality to champions, so it's easy to be
confused.

The looks of a basset as a pet, isn't vital, it's more
important that she's healthy.

BTW - I think Gracie looks wonderful! :lol:

--------------------
<span style="color:#009900">The one that drools rules, :p
Steinar - daddy and foodslave to Emma and Doris!

http://www.basset-hound.net.tf</span>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She is a sweet precious lil thing, we love her immensely. We BOTH spoiled her within the 1st couple minutes....how could anyone resist :wub:

It makes no matter. My Hannah was 7 weeks old when I adopted her from the SPCA ( mixed breed ) & for the last 9 & 1/2 yrs, she's been the absolute light of my life!!! We were just curious about her ears....now we know. Thanks guys :)

I'll be taking more pics tomm....she'll grow so fast, I don't want to miss it !!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Belvedere has the shorter ears. Dixie has the long ears and they are always crispy with whatever she's been into or eating.

Belvedere has never had an ear infection ...and Dixie has them frequently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My Bianca 's ears are shorter as well (but, now they meet at the end of her nose). Her coloring is similar to Gracie's. She has crooked knees and the other "Basset quirkiness" I've heard about here. However, her tail isn't even white at the end, as Gracie's is. She looked very much like Gracie, though, when she was a pup. She is now 3 yrs old. When I was walking her the other day--a neighbor told me that she wasn't a Basset--as she didn't "look like her son's Basset." ( :blink: !) So, I was glad to see this post! I appreciate your comments, as well! There couldn't be a more wonderful pet for me!

·
Registered
316 Posts
With that being said...my personal opinion is that the heavier boned bassets are more true to the breed standard. However, being in the South, I have noticed that the beagle basset breeders out number the heavy basset breeders by at least twenty to one. When I got Jackie, I did not really know much of a difference but in the future, I will either purchase a puppy from a respectable breeder or I will get a rescue.[/b]

I believe all basset owners started this way. You get your first basset and you start to research more and more, because you have to have at least two!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts