Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any remedies for Basset gas? So far, the most revolting stench to have ever burned the hairs right out of my nose. Copper can clear a room faster than tear gas. HELP!!! Somebody please tell me there is some sort of miracle cure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The only time speedy got bad, it turned out he had Giardia. He got it from bird droppings around the bird feeder. Birds are notorious for having it. He walked through the droppings, then licked his feet. No more bird feeder, no more Giardia. Only a vet can tell you though. :cool: Speedbump

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
A change of diet will sometimes improve matters. I used to feed my dogs a lamb-based feed, and noticed a definite improvement when I changed to a poultry-based feed.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
note Bo's expression standing next to Duke's butt.(to the right)I don't think he's too impressed with Basset gas either. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruby has been known to clear a room. Only if we give her too much people food tho.

·
Registered
813 Posts
George is the first dog we've had that hasn't had a rip-roaring gas problem. Either he's thoughtful enough to leave the room, or he doesn't have it. Try to figure out what he's eating that could cause it -- chances are, whatever it is would cause human gas, too -- and try not giving him that. Or open a window. :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Haven't noticed it with Daisy Jayne, but our sheltie...hoo boy! :D

But both dogs eat the same food, so I guess it's just a peculiarity our sheltie. He's always been a room-emptier. I guess we should buy different food, but gas seems to be the only issue he has with it...there's a reason we call him "old fart".

I *love* that picture of Bo, that expression just kills me, it's worth a million words....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't help you. Our Basset set off the Carbon Monoxide detector with her gas!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I love this topic. :D :D

One Easter afternoon, Henrietta ate my easter eggs, 2 hard boiled eggs (including the decorating!!!).
At night, she farted like rotten eggs, worse perhaps. wuih....

Also once, she ate an exotic southeast asian fruit called Durian. Yikes, it smelled like rotten garbage at night! Well, the fruit itself smells like rotten garbage (my hubby told me), but for certain nose, it smells sweet instead. One of those weird fruit. ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
On our way to the vet saturday our Copper had us riding with the window down in a rain storm.We thought it better to drown than die from the toxic gas.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People food in my home is a BIG NO NO. Although he has been sneaky enough to steal an entire dinner from the table, as we are also potty training here, and often must rush to go "pee pee."
He is still on the Blue Buffalo Dog food which is chicken and brown rice. It is also advertised as organic & holistic, but since the price is exorbident I may try a change anyways. Any favorite brands we might try?

By the way....BO that look is priceless. LOL!!!

[ April 10, 2006, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: THE COPPER TOP ]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just laughed so hard that I started choking (about basset gas setting off the carbon monoxide decetor.

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts