Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
What a gorgeous dog! He looks so comfy too! I often wonder why so many people don't put enough thought into the wanting and the care of a Basset Hound and then want homes for them while they are still babies!!! You can't buy a Basset on impulse!

This is the main reason why the breeder of my Bassets, 'interviews' people (in an informal way) because unless people have had a Basset or have a lot of understanding of the breed, and has time and patience, he refuses to part with his puppies and as he only breeds about every three years when he wants some new show hounds, it's not often, but he's pretty fussy abut who has his dogs and he doesn't want them passed from pillar to post, should someone change their mind (for whatever reason) and he insists that his hounds go back to him if they can't be looked after properly.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Buying any dog on impulse is a terrible idea in general and I imagine one of the biggest reasons why so many dogs pure and mixed end up in shelters. My mutt was originally given to my sister when she was 17 years old as a gift from some random dude as a 6 week old puppy in the middle of winter and as a record breaking ice storm was hitting that knocked out our town's power for 2 weeks. Now that was a bad idea. He was too cute for my parents to send back though... I adopted him 9 years later when he was too sick for my sister to care for.

At the shelter I volunteer at it is very common for families to change their minds and bring a dog back a few weeks or even days after adopting it.

Anyway, that picture is adorable. He looks like a big basset. I hope he finds a home soon though he looks pretty content in his foster home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
God, he is a cutie!

I've only had my Basset, Beau, for a week and a half, but I can't imagine giving him up. Some of my co-workers actually tried to talk me out of getting a Basset, because "They howl and drool." Well DUH. Isn't that part of what dogs DO? Don't fault them for being what they are! From the look on their faces when I said that, it apparently never occured to these people that dogs act like, wait for it... DOGS! Is it any wonder so many great dogs are sitting in shelters and rescues? I wish people would learn to think before they get a dog, then maybe the dogs wouldn't end up homeless.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a shame. People don't realize how much work a puppy actually is. I think it was even harder caring for Gwen as a small puppy than it was caring for my newborn. haha. Maybe some people think that Bassets don't go through the "Puppy Stage" because they are known to be so laid back. A lot of the times the pups in the shelters are around the same age where they start to get real energetic and "chew-happy". I would never give up on any of my babies.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Does Boomer frustrate me? Sure, he does, but I wouldn't give him up for any amount of money.

We were going for a walk one day, and someone actually asked if I would be interested in selling him. I very politely said, "No, I'm not", when I just wanted to pick him up and run.

I don't care if he drools or sheds. I've had a very stressful summer, and even tho he's still a pup, he's been a great comfort to me, and I can't imagine life without him.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Oh yes, I hope the boy in the first post finds a good home. He's quite handsome.

·
Registered
973 Posts
God, he is a cutie!

I've only had my Basset, Beau, for a week and a half, but I can't imagine giving him up. Some of my co-workers actually tried to talk me out of getting a Basset, because "They howl and drool." Well DUH. Isn't that part of what dogs DO? Don't fault them for being what they are! From the look on their faces when I said that, it apparently never occured to these people that dogs act like, wait for it... DOGS! Is it any wonder so many great dogs are sitting in shelters and rescues? I wish people would learn to think before they get a dog, then maybe the dogs wouldn't end up homeless.
That is silly of them. Every dog has faults. It's like finding a spouse; you just have to find the one with faults you can live with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts