Basset Hounds Forum banner

Good doggie contests?

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Cassidy 
#1 ·
Hiya pals.

Anyone know of good doggie games to play? my bday par-tee is coming up in a few weeks and we're looking for 2-3 contests to hold.

there will prob be around a dozen or so dogs there, of all different sizes and breeds. i was recently at the basset games and participated in sleeping, drooling, and howling contests, but have been told those are pretty specific to basset hounds. yeow! so... am looking for games that other dogs would have a chance at (hee hee...!)
--Worm.

#2 ·
JUst a few come to mind, cuz it's late, lol, and cuz there are still fireworks going off and cuz Annie is still crying...

1. Make a small agility course in your yard or park, where ever you're having the part-ay, and have the dogs run it. Fastest time wins.

2. Musical chairs...people with dogs on leashes, last one with a chair wins a fun treat.

#4 ·
Hot dog race. Dogs at one end, people at the other. People call dogs - but there's hot dogs in-between. First dog to the owner wins. This is best done in relays of two dogs at a time, otherwise you'll have a free-for-all.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the ideas!

PB-- i tried to convince my person to do marathon sleeping, drooling, and howling contests, but she said i should be a good host and not only do the contests i could win at but that being said, i LIKE the idea of a limbo contest!

Soundtrack-- so how does that look exactly? i'm assuming the dogs eat the hot dogs in the middle and may or may not go to their owners...?? sounds interesting, tho.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, Basset Pals.
I am getting so excited! just want to update you as to all the games we will be playing. Junior Olympics is for the younger dogs like myself. Senior Olympics is for the older dogs and/or for their older owners...
it's coming up in less than 2 weeks!
--Worm

JUNIOR OLYMPICS EVENTS
Relay race (person + dog running in teams)
Running contest (fastest time)
Retrieving contest (fastest time)
Frisbee contest or Sniffing contest or Limbo
Egg in spoon contest
Agility Obstacle Course contest

SENIOR OLYMPICS EVENTS
Sitting contest
Laying contest
Fetching contest

EVERYONE EVENT
Scavenger hunt
Musical Chairs

BASSET HOUNDS
Howling contest

#9 ·
That sounds like a ton of fun Worm!!! I wish we could be there to help you celebrate! Maybe Doppler and Virga would finally learn to howl! And Virga might even give the birthday boy a kiss or two. Doppler would give you a high-five man! Cuz boys don't give kisses to other boys. Yuck! Growls of displeasure from these two that they can't help you celebrate. But they're going to grandma and grandpa's house for a whole week while I go on family vacation in Florida. Dogs aren't allowed unfortunately. So they'll have some fun of their own! Please take pictures so those of us who can't be there can see all the fun.

#15 ·
k-- thanks!! Doppler and Virga, how was ur trip to Gramma's and Grampa's?? did u see any cool snakes, like Boomah here?

i wish u could come to my birthday partee, too. Doppler, i wanna see u in person 'cause u r sooo tall. and Virga, u r a riot!! kisses, i couldn't turn that down, ya know!

i'll definitely post some pics after...!

#11 ·
Soundtrack-- so how does that look exactly? i'm assuming the dogs eat the hot dogs
not necessarly based on the training of the dog etc. I temember a fun agility game at the end of a trial back in the day when trials were small enough and venues were more open to non-saction events that consisted of a standard pairs course. In pairs two dog and handlers run a single course split in half on dog runs the first half and the other runs the second. the handler when there is a exchange between which dog is running the course exchange a baton like a normal running relay as well. The difference in this game is the baton was a hilshire farms smoked sausage. Up until the point tough I i rand the course most of the handlers were concerend with the distraction the sausage could cause dogs try to get rthe suasage instead of run the course etc which did not happen.. . But I got to show then with Tough that having a suage on course could be nenefitial as well/ At that time toughy learned that he could get the audience to cheer for him if he struggled up the a-frame and hung up on top of it taken in the adulation and the senery. but when the susage was laid in front of his nose he went up and over the aframe like a pro.. Let us say the click off other Ideas for other handlers on how to use the suasage for motivation.

Anouther time running agility ring steward or spectator left a bowl of chill just out side the ring unattend. All food is supoose to be ten feet from the ring but stuff happen. THe course design required that Mariah Run by the bowl twice The first time was no problem but the second time she relized it was there and made a meal of it. So yes the may be some dog so trained more so for the one that don't particular care for hog dogs/ susages that will not even notice them when performing a recall wich the race requires. Most basset however are well vs at picking stuff up and eating it on the run so a few hotdogs on the ground ain't going to slow them down and might spped them up as they race to the next one.

#22 · (Edited)
. Most basset however are well vs at picking stuff up and eating it on the run so a few hotdogs on the ground ain't going to slow them down and might spped them up as they race to the next one.
Hahaha! I can so see Fergus doing that. Thanks for the thread Worm. My husband's nursery is having a dog day celebration and are looking for fun ideas. I'll post info when I know what day. I think you live far away from us, though. I hope your party turns out great!

One more idea for you, in case you need any others. We played this at puppy class. It's like musical chairs, but it's all about the dogs. Everyone walks around until the music stops and every dog must sit. The last dog sitting is out and so on until it's just one left and they get a prize. :)

#12 ·
Shortest dog
Tallest dog
Longest ears
Longest tail
Coolest trick

#13 ·
As part of the Agility Mariah would have liked to see a high jump contest based on the the hight the dog cleared verse the hight of the chest of the dog when standing to the ground. This is the true measure of how high the dog must actual jump. She things she could be the bigger dogs under this parameter.

#17 ·
Boomer I thinks that Wwormmies Mommy is a lot younger than either of ours --- you know these young progressive Moms -- not like our conservative Mommys . I go to bed early too but stay in bed late also and DONT get up at the crack of dawn!!!!I make Mom wait to make the bed haha one time it was 11:30. Maybe Wwormmies mom makes him have an extra nap during the day -- he is only one you know.

#18 ·
The one contest not mentioned and most bassets enjoy is the garbage hound contest.

that is dogs are given different foods to eat any dog refuse to eat within a 30 sec to a minute is eliminated. I think Mace would do well in this contest only three things have been discovered she will not eat. mushrooms, mustard greens and atomic fire balls. but she does like hot cherry peppers go figure.

#19 ·
Well, ya see, she let me stay up late last nite on the computah because i told her i needed to 'catch up' w/my basset buddies here. we been soooo busy for a week now and the past weekend gettin' ready for the parteeee. so i wasn't able to use the computah as much as i like.

this mornin' tho, i got her. woke up at 7am sharp. and kept trying to tell her to get up but she wouldn't. then finally at 9am she did, and then i fell asleep like a log when she said 'wake up time.' i confused her.

but ya, i'm widya Paisley. sleeping in is good.

Mikey T- melikes the garbage contest. but my person says she doesn't want to be responsible for me or the other bassets getting a wicked stomachache after :eek:
p.s. did u see 'bridesmaids' and the food poisoning part????

#20 ·
Speaking of waking up early...Annie was hooting and whining about getting up at 5am this morning. I wasn't even trying to have any part of that nonsense so I ignored until 7am. Got her up and she did a Basset sprint down the stairs and outside...poor girl had to go number 2 in the worst way :( I failed at being a mom today :(

Wormie! Part-ay!!! We are excited for ya.
PS...I think we will watch Bridesmaids tonight just to see this food poisoning bit you speak of!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.