Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good brush for removing all of the hair that is shedding off of Dixie? I have a couple of standard brushes that kind of move the hair around, but I'd like something that will really take the loose hair off. Would something like a shedding blade work?

A

·
0 Posts
I bought a sort of unconventional brush last summer and it is working wonderfully. It's by "Kong" and they sell them at Petsmart. It's rubber with fat pointy nubs. It removes hair very well. I don't think it would be suitable for a dog with longer hair to detangle but it really grabs the hair on a Basset. And it doesn't hurt them. Both Belly and Dixie love it.

J

·
0 Posts
Jake has a brush similar to the one described by Faye, and I think it was from Petsmart too. Fat, chubby rubber thing, great for this time of year...! I find gentle use of a fine-toothed flea comb works too, for getting rid of the soft downy under-fur as well as loose top coat.

A

·
0 Posts
I put on a pair of rubber household gloves and really vigourously rub Opus all over, it really lifts the hair right off, plus he loves it and sits there moaning while I work.
Arlene and Opus.

A

·
0 Posts
Believe it or not, I use one of those small(ish) plastic vegetable scrubber things. Works great and is cheap!

J

·
0 Posts
I have three brushes & here they are in order of which I think is best. (This advice is coming from someone who tries to match any throw rug to the color of dog hair.... and who also buys leather furniture because the dog hair will blow right off.) I'm not the most diligent housekeeper & I know if I just brushed José every other day or so the hair wouldnt pile up so quickly.

1. "Slicker" type brush which is flat with thin bent-wire bristles. Works okay especially if I go backwards but I think the wire might hurt if I pressed hard (which I don't) especially on thinner regions like bellies. Don't use this much at all.

2. Shedding blade. Love it but I only use it outside as the clumps can fly away. Works best on backs and thicker areas.

3. Hound Glove **BEST***. José loves this thing which is nothing more than a dishwashing glove with nubby rubber "bristles" on it. I can get all over him with this and I rub backwards & forwards and circles & I get a nice glove or two full of hair. Usually the hair lifts right off the glove in one or a couple chunks so it's rather neat. José will sit for a good 15 minutes while getting his massage. I like to ideally use the shedding blade & the hound glove combined.

A

·
0 Posts
Zoom Groom also works great to get out loose shedding hair. It has long flexible rubber teeth like projections that will really pull the loose dead hair out. It's very gentle, doesn't pull or scratch pet, but sure makes the birds happy with all the hugh amounts of hair it will take off a shedding dog for their nests.
We also use the shedding blade. Using both about twice a week really keeps a very pretty coat looking great.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Last summer I bought the shedding blade that Mikey T recommends. It takes off an absolutely amazing amount of hair effortlessly and quickly. Our regular dog brush filled up with hair far too quickly and was a pain to clean. No such problem with the shedding blade... the hair just comes right off. As a bonus, Moe loves when I use it. He arches his back against it and makes happy moaning noises. :D

Terry

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of the good suggestions. I don't know if I should be going to a pet shop or a store that sells kitchen items. :) I've seen the Zoom groom and Kong rubber "brushes" at Petsmart and wondered how they would work. I think I will get one of those and a shedding blade also.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I like a combination of tools, how well they work depends on the type of hair, the stage of the shedding cycle and the area of the body you're working on.

I like a "soft" slicker brush for general brushing on the body. I like a rubber glove, soft curry or Zoom Groom for legs, feet, face and ears. These are also good for removing loose hairs. A shedding blade also helps to remove dead hair and some undercoat, stripping knives and the serrated edge of a thinning shear also help. A flea comb can pull out lots of loose undercoat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts