Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my husband has officially labeled me crazy. I had decided a while back to enclose our 12x12 foot back porch in order to add an extra room to our house. I had contemplated doing different things with it.... study, game room, toy room for my home day care... But I have now decided that it needs to be our dog room. LOL. We only have Molly right now, but will be adding another basset in the next year, and my son will be getting a mini dachshund this fall. So I thought it would be nice if they had a room for their beds, toys, a grooming area, etc. Of course I know they will be in the main part of the house with us evenings and weekends, I thought it would give them a nice big inside area when I can't let them loose in the house during daycare hours.

So now a question... Any recommendations on type of flooring? Tile and lay down some area rugs? Or maybe that rubber flooring they use for horse stalls, indoor training facillities and such?

And any other cool ideas you and your bassets have I will welcome. I figure if I'm going to do it, I want to make it nice for them! :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think that's a terrific idea, to give the dogs their own room! I agree on the linoleum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that the whole house IS a basset's room? :D
LOL, yes when my daycare kids aren't here, it is! :D

Ok, thanks for the floor tips! I'll have to start looking at linoleum.
There will definitely be a couch or futon in the room. That's a great idea, do put it by the windows so Molly (and the others when we get them) can look out. I was also thinking the door to outside have a full glass panel, so they can look through it while laying on the floor or a doggie bed if they want.
Hmmm.... This is fun. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you use paint on the walls, go with semi gloss or satin so it's easy to clean up. Install window low to the ground so they can see out easily and they won't have to jump on furniture. Linoleum is cheaper than ceramic tile but our little Jersey girl sure likes the tile because it's cool. I can't wait to see the room when you're through!:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the paint tip JerseyGirl! I had not even thought about the finish. I usually use satin for other rooms in the house, But may actually a semigloss, or maybe a satin finish "bathroom paint".

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
I agree on the linoleum
personally I hate linoeoum. it is way too easily damaged and does not provied water protection where the wall meet the floor. FWIW the reason I was missing the week of the fourth was because of a major project than involved the removal of lino from bath and kitchen to be replaced with porcelin tile. The problem with most waterproof surfaces is they offer little traction which can be a problem if the room is to house puppies. A slippery surface may contribute to orthopedic problems. Concrete by itself is pourus and not water proof.

Tile is a good choice provised it has a traction surface ie is not highly glazed I would reccomend using a waterproof membraine under the tile and up the side walls to provide a waterproof basin and epoxy grout for between the tiles. Epoxy grout is espensive so it is best to minimize cost by using as fine a grout line as possible. For the tile itself avoid natural stone, and ceramic tile you want a porcelin tile is much hard stroger impervious than natural stone or ceramic. Also you want a PEI rating of at least 4 anything less on a floor is too easily damaged. If the floor is over an unheated space I would also recomend a tile that is suitable and approved for outdoor use.

I'm not big on anything other than bedding on the floor, throw rug and the like attract pee dog hair etc and will make cleaning more difficult with out add much to the dogs comfort. Horse stale matting is a good choice if layed again on a waterproof surface it has extra expense it can be difficult to clean but is water resistant stain resistant and insulated so it does not get cold like tile . lino etc and a very high traction surface. beside hours stall matting ther are a number or rubber and synthetic surface that come in roll and sheet the would work as well I suggest the follow article on agility flooring as a help also remember to be waterproof the lining/coating must transition from the floor up the wall otherwise the liguid can migtate between the floor and wall defeating the purpose for Tile instilations there are both membranes and coating that can be use to create such a barrier. the also server to be crack isolators so movement in the sub floor is less likely to crack a tile. Concrete can be sealed with number of products but keep in mind most of those sold in a big box home improvement store have a very limited effective period and need to be reapplied over and over again. there are commercial products water, urathane and/or epoxy based that work much better and longer and are not much more expensive. Alot of what you can and can,t do is going to be dictated by the current porch floor. temperature extremes and how you plan to heat the area.

a look at indoor agility flooring

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agree with Mikey that linoleum is easily damaged. I was going to suggest concrete with some heavy duty sealant (and paint to make it look nicer). Tile also sounds like a good option but will also have to be sealed.

We have a dog "area" blocked off by dog gates and the walls are covered in junk so yes you will need to protect the walls as well.

In Round Rock you should consider not just cold weather but hot as well, obviously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts